Therma-Stor Dehumidifier Cycling

Old 07-29-19, 06:04 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Therma-Stor Dehumidifier Cycling

Morning everyone, been some time!

I purchased a used dehumidifier, which i seen running at the sellers home first. Seller and myself carried the unit,,,
(Therma-Stor Santa Fe RX Model 4030440) in an almost horizontal position. Seller said it was ok to do that.

I transported it upright, took it to my basement and set it up. Let it sit overnight. When turned on the dehumidifier runs for about 5 seconds, shuts off for 5 seconds, and continually repeats this...cycling?
If the blower is set to ON, by itself, humidistat switch off, it continues blowing. If the blower is set to AUTO, with
the humidistat turned on they both cycle.

Initial thoughts were laying the unit over allowed compressor oil to migrate. If it were a problem caused by
laying the dehumidifier on it's side, is this the result i should expect?

It was suggested to me that the problem may be, compressor cycling off the compressor over-load protector. May be a Capacitor problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 07-29-19, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It's possible to be a run capacitor problem but it doesn't sound like it. It sounds more like a low pressure switch cycling due to a low refrigerant charge. Typically that only cycles the compressor. The manual says it cycles the compressor and fan. What you will need to do is to measure to see what is turning on and off.

Therma Stor tech manual

Old 07-30-19, 10:45 AM
T
Thanks for chiming in on my problem!!

I have since found that the compressor relay has a reset switch that is not being pulled in when the unit is plugged in, indicating a problem somewhere. I jumped the wires for the low pressure switch and the dehumidifier now stays running. Only left it run like that for about 10 seconds to verify it would continue running longer than 5 seconds Lol

Any objections to me bypassing the low pressure switch for maybe 30 seconds to see if the refrigerant line the defrost switch is starts to get cold?

Appreciated!

Last edited by Tyannt; 07-30-19 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-19, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
I was afraid of that....... it is cycling on low pressure. You've lost the charge.

The compressor usually sits on springs. Tipping the unit stresses the copper lines and connections.
If it's low on charge shorting the low pressure switch will keep the unit running but if there's a leak.... it's all over.

Old 08-02-19, 01:52 PM
T
If I have a Tech come check it out, would he/she check for a leak, and tell me if it can be repaired on site..... prior to evacuating and recharging?

Reason I'm asking is...I've been looking at new dehumidifiers in the event this Santa Fe Rx
is not worth spending money on.

Santa Fe Compact70 VS Ultra-Aire 70H The Ultra-Aire comes with ducting collars, less than 100.00 more.
Opinions ?

Last edited by Tyannt; 08-02-19 at 02:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-02-19, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
If I was working on it I'd put a clamp-on ampmeter in the compressor line. That would be an indicator if the compressor was actually working and how hard.

Old 08-03-19, 03:16 PM
T
I decided to check the refrigerant service port for pressure; let out a quick burst. It's certainly pressurized...And, it sprayed clear oil on the accumulator. Very oily freon!

Is it worth having a Tech recover/evac and recharge?

Last edited by Tyannt; 08-03-19 at 03:26 PM. Reason: add to reply
Old 08-05-19, 06:27 AM
T
Any suggestions?

Will buy a new dehumidifier...

Santa Fe Compact70...Ultra-Aire 70H.

Like the idea also of the Ultra-Aire 98H due to extra duct for fresh air but is a 90 pint overkill for a 2bdrm ranch with half finished basement?

Last edited by Tyannt; 08-05-19 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 08-05-19, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
It may not be completely empty. Typically when there is a charge port on a unit like that..... it had a leak and someone already recharged it. Most of those units don't come with any ports.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: