Cover for whole house humidifier?

Old 08-22-19, 05:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cover for whole house humidifier?

I recently had a Lennox whole house humidifier installed with my AC/Furnace upgrade. This unit is basically an Aprilaire clone with the filter that water passes through.

This time of year when I'm running the AC, a considerable amount of cool air comes through the two front vents of the humidifier (one facing up, one facing down) and pours into the basement area when I don't need the cooling. I believe this is just a consequence of cool air flowing through the unit and the filter and bleeding out into the room. My question is, do they make some kind of cover that I can put over this unit to block the vent during the summer time when humidifier is turned "off" and not used at all? If not, am I fine to block the vents myself during the summer so long as I open them in the cooler months when the humidifier is turned on?

thanks!

Lennox Healthy Climate HCWP3-18
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652AN2M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-19, 08:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's my one and only bump on this topic before I drop the thread. Logically, I don't see how I could damage anything on the whole house (filter-style) humidifier by closing off all it's venting while it's in the "off" position (during warming months), but I was hoping someone might confirm or refute this for my own peace of mind.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-19, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
There shouldn't be any air coming out of a furnace mounted humidifier.
You shouldn't have to cover anything.
I'm not familiar with that unit and the installation instructions were pretty useless as far as pictures.

You can cover anything you want. There is nothing to hurt. Just remove what you install for winter operation.
Question: Do you get hot air coming out of the unit in the winter ?