Aprilaire 700 with ICM variable speed blower motor

Old 11-03-19, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700 with ICM variable speed blower motor

Question: Is this the right way to convert from an older to newer furnace? I had my furnace changed out from 80% to 96% Trane unit with the variable speed blower (XV95). They swapped over my model 700 but said the sensing relay couldn't be used on the blower motor circuit anymore which makes sense being an ICM or ECM motor now. So he wired the sensing relay into the vent motor circuit (inducer motor?) Now the humidifier only runs when the inducer motor is running not the main blower so I get a lot less run time and less humidity control. Is there another better way to wire it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-19, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The variable speed motor still draws current. You can put the current sense probe on the hot or neutral wire. If it doesn't respond.... you need to wrap it one extra time thru the sense probe.

Old 11-03-19, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The ICM motor has 2 wire harnesses: constantly on 120v thru one harness and the other is the 16 wire low voltage speed control harness. I read in instructions that the sensing relay needs a min of 4 amps to work but no mention of min volts AC or DC. I wouldn't know which of the 16 to even start with or what voltage/amps runs thru which one. I guess it's worth trying though. Thx again.