My connected Honeywell HE360 stopped working

Old 11-14-19, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My connected Honeywell HE360 stopped working

Pjmax was very helpful with getting my Ecobee 4 connected to my whole home humidifier, Honeywell HE360. I did have to use the solenoid switch for the connection. Everything was looking good. The Ecobee showed that the humidifier was running( it was set at 50% humidity) so I went down to check and it was running. Since that one time days ago, even though the ecobee says that the humidifier is running I check and it is not running. It has stopped running. Is it possible that the solenoid has gone bad? Should I buy another brand humidifier? Why would the ecobee say that the humidifier is running and it isn't ? Its winter, my wife has asthma and allergies and we really need to balance the indoor air. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-19, 01:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
The 360 is an AC powered humidifier. I'm assuming you are using a relay with the ecobee.
You need to disconnect the relay and short the two humidifier wires together to see if the unit is the problem.

Old 11-15-19, 05:56 AM
Honeywell HE360

Hi .
I shorted the two wires and the unit did run. I used the Packard-Fan-Relay-SPDT VAC/dp/B0195UVNNI from Amazon. I don't think this was your preferred choice. Should I try the White Rodgers 24-Volt SPDT RBM Relay-90-370? Another one recommended on Amazon(an upgrade to the White Rodgers) is the Emerson 90 380 Fan Relay 24 Volt Coil, 1.
I don't think the settings in the Ecobee could be the problem because the humidifier have run before. Unless you advise me otherwise, I suspect an issue with the Relay switch?

Old 11-15-19, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
I shorted the two wires and the unit did run.
That's good. One half of the battle.

It doesn't really matter which relay you use. There are four wires on the relay. Two from the ecobee/furnace that supply power to close the relay and two from the humidifier that get shorted.

If you have a meter...... check for 24vAC on the two wires that go to the relay coil when the humidifier should be running. If it's present..... the relay is ok. If not..... you need to check your splice to the ACC+ at the stat.

Old 11-18-19, 06:04 AM
I'm confident the wiring is ok because it did run that one time. I did re-check my connections. I don't own or no how to use a meter. I did purchase and install the White Rodgers 24v relay. The Ecobees highest humidity setting is 50% and since the temperature here in Illinois has moderated the house humidity has been above 50% so I'll have to wait for temp to fall. Thank you

Old 11-18-19, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Go out and pickup a basic analog meter. It's great to have around for service jobs.
They start at $15 at the Depot.

Analog test meter

Old 11-20-19, 08:04 AM
Wiring for Honeywell HE300 Humidifier to Relay for Ecobee4

Hi Pjmax. I did find a multimeter in my basement. Apparently I purchased it years ago, not knowing how to work it, i disregard it. I'm trying to learn more about it. House humidity has been around 56% (moderate outdoor temperatures) and the highest setting on the ecobee is 50% so hopefully I'll familiarize myself with the meter before .

Just as a fail safe, can you tell me why my Honeywell Humidifier worked with my old furnace, before I got an ecobee and why doesn't it work(w/o being connect to the ecobee) with the new furnace, if I choose not to connect it to the ecobee. I can't find an answer as to why the humidifier wont work with the new furnace?

Old 11-20-19, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Your furnace MAY be set up to supply 24vAC to the humidifier via a HUM terminal. The problem is you can't have two transformers working against each other.

So you would still need the relay or an electronic humidistat like the 60 or 62.

Old 11-21-19, 08:19 AM
Honeywell HE360 connection to Ecobee 4

Hi PJMax. Thanks for responding. Is there a way i can wire my Honeywell HE360, using the relay, to work with my furnace, without using the connection to the Ecobee. I have a Carrier Comfort 80 Furnace, model 58 STA110-116. I may have to choose to manually control the humidity in my home.
Please let me know if this should be a new thread.

Old 11-22-19, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
You could manually control it or install a basic humidistat.

Instead of connecting the relay to the ACC+ on the ecobee and C..... connect the relay to W and C on the control board. It will run during heating but still will need a humidistat installed.

Old 11-22-19, 10:20 AM
Yes, I suspected that i had to wire differently to run the Honeywell w/o the ecobee. this helps. thank you. I'll still control the furnace with the ecobee, but this will allow me to control the humidifier manually, using the Honeywell humidistat (like i did before having the new furnace installed), if connecting it to the ecobee doesn't work out. Now i have two options.

Old 11-22-19, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Yes sir. Stop back if you need more help.

Old 12-14-19, 01:12 PM
Water dripping through tube with Humidifier not running

Hi PjMaxx.
I have the humidity set at 50% on my connected Ecobee 4. I've been waiting for the house humidity to drop so I can see if the humidifier is cycling on and off. The house humidity has been above 50% so the humidifier hasn't been running, but there is water dripping down through the unit and out of the drain tube on the bottom. Sometimes the humidity can be at 56% and I will gather 2cups of water in a day. Is this an indication that the solenoid is bad. There are no leaks from any connections to the solenoid, only draining down through the drain tube. I've never seen this draining before.

Old 12-14-19, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
That would be an indication that the solenoid is leaking.

I had the same problem and just changed my own here.

Old 12-16-19, 06:47 AM
Thank you. I ordered one.

Old 01-07-20, 09:28 AM
Honeywell HE360 solenoid replacement

Hi Pjmax. Just a follow-up. I recently contacted you about water leaking through the water discharge line on my Honeywell humidifier, when the unit wasn't running. Following your advise I ordered a replacement solenoid from Supplyhouse.com It was the exact match, came with the harness, so installation was easy. Problem solved! No more leaking. I had thought that when you hear about a leaking or faulty solenoid you would see water actually leaking from the solenoid connection. Now I know that the discharge of water through the drain line is an indication of a bad solenoid. Also in my case, I would see on the Ecobee home scene and app that the humidifier was running, but when i checked, the unit was not running. Then when i saw the water discharge, this pointed me to the possibility of a bad solenoid. With your help I've learned so much about having the ecobee controlling the humidifier.
I added the website attachment.

Until next time, Thanks again

Attached Images