new installation of Aprilaire 500

Old 11-15-19, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
new installation of Aprilaire 500

I am going to undertake this installation. The current furnace is a replacement of the original and is smaller than the original. With the original furnace, the A/C was directly on top of the furnace. When the new/current furnace was installed, the A/C remained at the same height above the floor, resulting is some metal being added between the top of the furnace and the A/C.

Since I will be connecting some part of the new humidifier somewhere on the area shown on the left side of the photo, I am wondering whether I should connect below or above the A/C. And, if I connect above the A/C, I think I may need to relocate the vent now located in the section above the A/C. Is that right?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-19, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
If that is a gas furnace then you need to stay above the evaporator coil.
I would remove that register and install the humidifier in its place.

Old 11-16-19, 09:59 AM
Are you saying I don't need a heat register in the utility room (houses the furnace, water heater, clothes washer, and dryer)? Could I add a register - maybe a smaller one - somewhere else?

Old 11-16-19, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know if you need a heat register. You could see if the area stays warm enough without it. If you do need one..... move it to a different location on the supply duct.

Old 11-23-19, 03:10 PM
I now have the unit mounted on my furnace, but do not yet have water lines and wiring connected. Getting the unit mounted to the furnace was difficult due to the cramped space.

I do not have the wiring connected. This part is confusing since the instructions that came with humidifier are vague.

Edit: I need to delete some attachments (photos) in previous posts in order to upload any new photos here. I can't find how to delete attachments from old posts/topics.

Last edited by dderolph; 11-23-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
I went thru your attachments and resized many of your pictures. Try to keep them under 600x600 and 75kb per picture. You only have 10mb of storage. You were just at that. Now you're near 2.3mb. PM me if you need help.

Old 11-24-19, 08:45 PM
I have the unit mounted on the furnace but do not have any wiring connections done yet. The electrical part of this is confusing and I don't want to cause damage by doing it wrong. I've been searching for info on how to connect wires and so forth. I have opened my furnace and I see that it has a connector labeled HUM and 2 unused connectors labeled NEUT. I believe they are the connectors on the furnace circuit board that I need to use.

The humidifier came with a 24V transformer. I see that the furnace has a 24V transformer but I am thinking I should use the transformer that came with the humidifier because I don't have a clear understanding about the purpose of the existing transformer in the furnace. The transformer that came with the humidifier has a black and white wire. Should they be connected to the HUM and NEUT connectors on the circuit board? Should I buy a voltage detector to use to determine voltage at certain points on the furnace circuit board?

I found a web page showing 6 wiring diagrams. I'm guessing diagram #4 is closest to my situation. But, I'm puzzled about all the "humidistat controllers" in those diagrams having 6 wires connected to them. My humidifier does not have an outdoor sensor, so I can ignore two of the wires on those diagrams. That still leaves 4 wires connected to the them. On my humidifier control, I only see connectors for 2 wires. So, this part of the electrical connections is also confusing. Logically, I would think the humidifier control needs two wires connected to the humidifier solenoid to open and close the water valve and two wires leading to HUM and NEUT on the furnace circuit board.

Old 11-24-19, 10:03 PM
Group Moderator
Those diagrams are for the digital/automatic humidistat. Yours is the basic manual type.
I modified one of the diagrams for you. There is no wiring polarity on the 24v side.

Name:  hstat.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  31.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-02-19 at 05:27 PM. Reason: updated diagram
Old 12-01-19, 05:21 PM
I'm wondering what type of wiring I should use for this. I bought a roll of wiring a week or so ago that I now think was not the best choice. It has two small wires inside the outer insulation. I see no need for the 2 small wires, which have different color insulation. A wiring that only has one inner strand of wire seems appropriate. An example is https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-2...y-Wire/3234599 It comes in different colors. Would that wiring work for this purpose?

Old 12-02-19, 04:57 PM
On second thought, since I already have the 2-strand wiring, could I go ahead and use it by just ignoring one of the strands?

I've attached a photo of this wiring. As you can see, it has a brown outer covering. Inside that is a wire covered with white covering and one with red covering. Could I just ignore one of them (either the white or red) and use the other strand?

Attached Images  
Old 12-02-19, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
That is thermostat cable. The exact wire you should be using.
You can run a two wire cable from the transformer to the h'stat and another cable to the humidifier.
Just splice the extra wire thru.

I updated my diagram back in post # 8.

Old 12-05-19, 12:22 PM
Questions pertaining to the revised electrical diagram:

1. What is the black object below Humidistat Controller?

2. What do the two oval shaped circles mean?

Old 12-05-19, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
The black object is a wirenut to cover the splice.
The blue circle around the two wires signifies a two wire cable.

If you are using that two wire thermostat cable with the red and white wires.....
the diagram should make sense.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
I have the humidifier installation completed; in addition to the mounting of the main unit on the furnace, water line and electric wiring have been connected. But, the unit has not yet turned on. Apparently, I do not have the electrical part correctly configured. And, I'd like to get it working soon since winter weather is imminent (the temperature here is forecast to drop to 23F tonight).

One thing I'm not sure about is whether I need to use the 24V transformer that came with the humidifier. I have had it continuously installed and I don't want to remove it unless I'm very sure it is not needed since doing so would, as I understand, cause major damage. Should I get a voltage tester to test the voltage at the HUM connector on the furnace circuit board? I presume that voltage is either 120 or 24. And, if it's 24V, then doesn't that mean I don't need the transformer that came with the humidifier?

I'm also thinking I could disconnect the two wires connected to the humidistat (the controller box) and connect the wires together, thereby creating a continuous ON condition, for testing purposes. In other words, I think that would eliminate any possibility that the humidistat is failing at properly detecting humidity, and that being the reason the unit has never started running.