Aprilaire model 60 controller wiring question

Old 11-26-19, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire model 60 controller wiring question

I think Iíve almost got this, but Iíve hit a little snag. Hoping maybe PJMax or somebody can clear this up straight away. Trying to replace an Aprilaire model 58 (I think) with a new model 60 on a Nordyne 2-stage furnace. Iíve got persistent 24vac leads off a 10VA line xfrmr and on-call 24vac leads off a second 10VA HUM xfrmr. I plan to do the C-to-H, H-to-solenoid, solenoid-to-R jumper thing at the controller since the wiring is all pre-existing. So thatís continuous controller power and voltage to the ďHĒ terminals taken care of. My question is what to do with the 24vac off the HUM transformer? The ďWĒ terminal on the controller has to get involved here somehow, I just donít know how. Near as I can tell, the model 60 must be looking for the 24v between W & C for permission to make water, and obviously itís the 24v between R & C that powers the unit. Iím thinking in my case, I donít have a true ďcommonĒ because the secondary voltages are fully independent of one another. The old model 58 had R,C,W/G, and Cf so this wasnít an issue before. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-19, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry..... I'm not totally following you.
The 60 requires always live 24v. You can get that from the furnace board or a separate transformer.
The wiring should be very similar.
What humidifier do you have ?

Old 11-26-19, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have a model 600 humidifier. Yes, I have constant 24vac off of a transformer that I will use to power the 60 and solenoid.

I also have on-call (from HUM) 24vac available off a second transformer. Previously this was connected to the W/G and Cf terminals of what I believe to be a model 58 controller (or whichever adhc came with the 600a in 2009). I donít know what to do with it on the 60 since the Cf terminal is no longer there.

Old 11-26-19, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
The model 58 was not able to turn the blower on in order to humidify without the burner running. The 60 and 62 have the ability to turn the blower on and humidify. I don't agree with humidifying without the burner as there isn't enough humidity transfer with cold air. A steam type humidifier is more suited to run without the burner.

Keep the HUM transformer wired. It will connect to the C and W connections on the 60.

Name:  600A_60 hstat.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  76.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-27-19 at 12:14 AM. Reason: replaced drawing with updated one
Old 11-26-19, 08:11 PM
Agree with not humidifying without heat. I do not intend to hook up to G terminals and will leave the blower control on the 60 set to off.

i donít have a single W terminal on the furnace board; I have W1 and W2. If I tap into one of them, wouldnít that leave the humidifier idle during one of the heating stages?

Iíd like to avoid rewiring everything and make use of the existing wire runs if possible. To that end, could I still do the jumper wire thing on the 60 to make a parallel circuit with R/C through the H terminals, as if I didnít have a transformer? i.e. run everything off the furnaceís on-board (40VA) transformer.

Old 11-27-19, 12:16 AM
Group Moderator
I updated my previous reply to conform with your last request.

Old 11-27-19, 10:46 AM
Ok. I can give that a try tonight. I had thought about connecting both transformers to the C terminal but was concerned that I might run into an issue if the waveforms werenít phased up, which they probably wouldnít be coming from different transformers. Iím probably overthinking this. Thanks for the help. Iíll let you know how it goes.

Old 11-27-19, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
If the transformer secondaries aren't grounded..... they'll work together ok.

Old 11-29-19, 02:53 PM
That worked well. Once I got the transformer secondaries tied together, I was also able to determine that they were out of phase. Iím pretty sure it would have worked either way, but I went ahead and switched it around just for good measure so I wouldnít have a 50+V potential anywhere. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 11-30-19, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for letting me know how you made out.