Multi zone, Nest, aprilaire 800, Emerson 90 380 fan relay

Old 01-02-20, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multi zone, Nest, aprilaire 800, Emerson 90 380 fan relay

where to begin... Since I can't get an HVAC pro to come out and do this I've resorted to doing it myself like most things now aday. . I've likely read all of the online help out there. Some threads here have been very helpful too.

I have a nest 3rd gen and two nest E in my home. I recently purchased an aprilaire 800 which came with the model 62 control. I'd like to control the humidifier with the nest therm if possible due to the wifi and outside temp automation. I'm aware that only the nest 3 can control the humidifier. This is located on the main floor while most bedrooms and bonus rooms are upstairs on the two other zones. I have the 3 zones on a zonefirst controller. This is all about 6 mo old in new home.

Question 1: I read a recent thread that recommended using the controller provided with the humidifier, in my case this would be the model 62, and not the nest system since the humidifier will not work when the other nest E zones are calling. Is that always the case?

Question/problem 2: this can wait until Q 1 is answered as it would be moot troubleshooting my issue of getting one zone working.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-20, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Question 1: I read a recent thread that recommended using the controller provided with the humidifier, in my case this would be the model 62, and not the nest system since the humidifier will not work when the other nest E zones are calling. Is that always the case?
The humidifier would be controlled by the Nest 3 or the 62. Not both.
If you want the humidifier to operate regardless of thermostat then use the 62 h'stat.

Old 01-03-20, 10:36 AM
I was a unclear. If I had a nest 3 for each zone, can each then control the humidifier like they do the furnace? Essentially directly activating the humidifier, without the 62.

Old 02-13-20, 02:12 PM
Going to bump this as I have the same question. Hope that is okay as a first post.

Old 02-13-20, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums Tom.

To answer that last question...... only one nest could control the humidifier. I suppose relays could be used and then each nest could call for humidity. That would be redundant as one could call for humidity over the other.

In this application it would probably be best to use the humidistat to control the humidity.