old humidifier

Old 01-09-20, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old humidifier

I never had a humidifier installed in furnace and I was surprised when I saw it. I don't know how exactly it works and I need your advice what to do about it.
I bought this house in September, finally I checked furnace and spotted this thing( check photos). I opened it and found old ugly metal( probably) filter. It is white everywhere. I don't when it was replaced but at least it says "change filter annually". When I touched filter it is no longer a solid thing... it is powder. I removed it. I'm worried that any second it will fall inside furnace and whole powder will be on coil.
Anyway, i unplugged the cord but before doing it I never heard it to work. I expected fan will be noisy. Should it work always? sometimes? how to check if it works? Should I put it back? or should I buy just new filter? There is small pipe on top... I wonder if water goes through it? and if... where does it go now? to coil?
I know it all sounds crazy stupid but I don't bow how to use it and what to do about it. As of right now I closed plastic housing so heat doesn't go out of furnace through this big hole and threw away furnace.

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  h2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  79.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-09-20 at 08:57 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-20, 07:47 AM
Received 56 Votes on 52 Posts
The white crumbly stuff is calcium.
Unless the metal mesh is also crumbly soaking it in vinegar or CLR should clean it up or just but a new one.

Yes the small diameter copper line at the top is the water supply. It probably goes to a saddle valve on a water pipe.

I cannot say if you need it or not.
A lot depends on where you live (climate) and the indoor humidity.
If you wake up with a dry mouth it could be that raising the humidity will help.

Look up the brand/model and you may be able to find an operators manual.
Also low humidity can dry out furniture and flooring etc. causing cracks and shrinkage.
A higher humidity can also make the house feel more comfortable.
If you have condensation on your windows then I would not use it.

Old 01-09-20, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
metal mesh is powder... and this white powder... i was thinking it is salt from softener but... there is no softener. I would like to use this humidifier but I dont know how to turn it on. Maybe blower/motor died...

Old 01-09-20, 09:54 AM
Received 56 Votes on 52 Posts
Download the manual that should answer a lot of your questions!!!

Old 01-09-20, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
That looks like an Aprilaire 700M. I left you a link below. That "filter" is a replaceable media. It should be changed every year or two. That has an internal fan that draws air thru the unit. That fan and the water supply turn on at the same time. It looks like it gets control voltage from the furnace. I also see a wire going up. There should be a humidistat somewhere in line to control the operation.

The humidifier should only run when the furnace is heating and the humidistat is calling for humidity.

Aprilaire owners manual
Maintenance kit