Nest 3rd gen Lennox bypass humidifier

Old 02-21-20, 01:25 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nest 3rd gen Lennox bypass humidifier

Hi everyone. Just joined this forum.
I bought a home and builder gave only furnace. It's a Goodman 2 stage one. Gmvc960403bn.

I recently hired a pro and installed a Goodman ac. He suggested installing whole house humidifier and I went with it.

It's Lennox hcwb3-12. Manual model. The idea of manually adjusting everytime is bothering me. I already have nest and learnt that I can make it control it.

Please help. Looking for info on how to do it. The return duct has the humidistat and humidifier itself. He connected the brown wire to furnace controller.

Old 02-21-20, 01:47 AM
E
Additional info.

I see humidifier starts only when furnace is on. And I also see some solenoid to control the water for humidifier.

Pictures: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/JPWwbaD

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/JPWwbaD

TEST LINK: Imgur gallery

Last edited by PJmax; 02-21-20 at 08:44 AM. Reason: attempted to fix links
Old 02-21-20, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Usually I can fix problem links but I couldn't find your imgur front page.

Your Lennox humidifier requires 24vAC in to solenoid to operate.
You have a basic setup there. One of the solenoid wires goes to the C terminal on the furnace. It may already be there. The second solenoid wire goes directly to the * terminal on the nest. Wiring polarity makes no difference as this is AC. Nothing else is inline.

Name:  NEST_BASIC.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  4.6 KB

Old 02-21-20, 09:28 AM
E
Please check this

https://*******/TgtHRzM
https://*******/hB5PQwM

Humidifier for furnace right? I want nest to take control.

Old 02-21-20, 09:37 AM
E
Sorry. I understand now. I have two yellow wires going to solenoid from humidistat and from there to furnace. So one goes to C and one to *. By passing humidistat right? For some reason my URLs are getting masked

Old 02-21-20, 12:42 PM
E
Let me try again. These are the pictures. PJmax Photos

I see in the furnace controller red wire (connected to C) and white wire (connected to W). Further examining, solenoid (2 yellow), one connected directly to C and other one through the humidistat.

so now can i leave the red wire (C ) as it is and then connect the white to * of nest ? i will remove humidistat and put a hvac tape. Should be fine ?

Old 02-21-20, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Yes....................... should be fine.

Old 02-28-20, 07:54 PM
E
PJmax hi there, I don't see humidifier solenoid getting activated at all. Basically water not draining.

not sure what's happening. I even increased the humidity and in the setup I tried both activate and don't activate fan for humidifier.

Please help. Now no humidistat. * to one wire of humidistat and C from furnace block to other

Old 02-29-20, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Now no humidistat. * to one wire of humidistat and C from furnace block to other
Not sure what that means...... possibly a mistype ?

Pull the nest stat off the base., Remove the humidifier wire from the * terminal and touch it to the R terminal with the red wire. Your humidifier should run. If it doesn't.... there is a problem in the wiring. It it does run..... could be possible nest programming issue or bad sub base.

Old 02-29-20, 11:20 AM
E
PJmax I meant
Not sure what that means...... possibly a mistype ?
Sorry i meant that i removed humidstat. Now 2 wires from solenoid is there. one goes to C in the furnace block and other goes to * like your wiring diagram.

I removed the nest and did a short of R and * and humidifier didnt run. i mean water dint flow through solenoid.
as its a simple connection, im wondering where it would have gone wrong ?

any suggestions ?

im going to connect it back to W1 like how it was there with humidistat and see if water flowing through.

Old 02-29-20, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
The humidifier needs 24vAC to operate. Since the nest is working..... then 24vAC is confirmed at that point. Double check that the solenoid wire going to C is correct.

If you left the wiring as first done..... you would need to connect the two wires at the old humidistat location together and wire nut them.

Old 03-02-20, 04:47 AM
E
PJmax I did test with multimeter. * is giving 26 v.

I did wire as before now it's not working. I guess for some reason solenoid is fried. Is there a 24 adapter kind to test the solenoid?

Old 03-02-20, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
How did you check just the * for power ?

24v arrives at thermostat on the R terminal. When the nest demands humidity..... there will be 24v on the * terminal but you cannot check that with the stat off. With the stat off the base there should be 0 on the * terminal.

I'm not sure where your problem is. The circuit is very basic. The 24v hot comes from the nest and the common or cold comes from the C connection at the furnace. Possibly a wire is open some where.

The solenoids rarely burn open. Check it with an ohmmeter. If it shows any continuity it should be ok.

Old 03-02-20, 05:17 PM
E
PJmax I did a test in nest for humidifier but i disconnected * terminal at the furnace block. With multimeter i measured 26 V between C and *.

So it appears that one of the wirenut for solenoid kind of ripped the stripped wire. i stripped and redid the connection. Now its all working and back as original.

Sometime later im just going to leave the humidistat at max and connect the wire back to *.

I assume humidistat will be always on and nest will control the humidity. hope its okay ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: