Can Aprilaire 1750 be repaired?

Old 06-02-20, 04:35 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can Aprilaire 1750 be repaired?

I have an Aprilaire 1750 dehumidifier in my basement. It's worked great for about 7 years, but now it is no longer pulling water. The compressor runs, but based on the error code (4 blinks) it appears that it is no longer cooling. There is some rust stain on the water discharge pipe so I assume the coil rusted through and so there is no longer any refrigerant in the system. The online repair guide I found says the unit will have to be replace, not repaired. Is this a common flaw and is there really no way to salvage the unit?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-20, 05:03 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Nope no repair is possible for a modern POS appliance

Appliances that are made today are utter S**T garbage with the electronic controls that has under rated relays that have their contacts weld on therefore the compressor will not turn off unless power is cut to the unit.

I had (gave it to a friend who was tired of buying a new dehumidifier every year.) Whirlpool (made for Kenmore\Sears Model 106.639140) I believe it is from around 1973 my friend still has it and he has not had to buy a new dehumidifier for six years now.

They really don't make them like that anymore. I hate the fact that people toss them because they use too much energy.

How about all the wasted resources making a POS appliance and shipping it to the USA from overseas and then the landfill waste when that appliance fails and it will.

That is how I got that Whirlpool unit from the side of the road and all that was wrong with it is the fan motor needed oil. Look around and see if you can find an old made in the USA appliance.

Old 06-02-20, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 830 Votes on 777 Posts
Unfortunately that is a very common problem with humidifiers.
Once the evaporator coil corrodes and leaks.... it's all over.
Typical life is 5 years so you did better than some.