Carrier Infinity + Humidifier + Ecobee

Old 10-13-20, 10:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Infinity + Humidifier + Ecobee

Hi, thanks for any comments in advance.

I've recently moved into a used home that has a Carrier Infinity Furnace and humidifier wired to the HUM thru a relay/isolation transformer. The previous owner has/had a Honeywell thermostat that does not control humidity. I want to restore the humidity functionality but didn't want to pay $700 for a Carrier Infinity thermostat. So I bought the latest Ecobee with voice.

The ABCD connections are not being used. I have 5 wires, R G B Y W, do I need a 6th wire to connect to the Ecobee accessory terminal and tap into the HUM/24VCOM connection at the furnace board? There are only 5 wires running thru the walls.

Regards,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-20, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pretty basic system with only five wires. The Carrier Infinity could be a multiplexed system with an EIM but that wouldn't take a Honeywell stat so I'm not sure what you have there.

You do need a dedicated conductor for the humidifier.
You could post a picture of the thermostat wiring..... how-to-insert-pictures.

Old 10-14-20, 05:56 AM
B
Pete, and all,

The Carrier Infinity furnace has a unique ABCD 4 wire communication bus, works with Carrier Infinity thermostats. But this is not currently being used, the Carrier Infinity furnace also has the standard connections which are being used. It has a Faston HUM connection that (I believe) goes to 24V when fan and heat are on. Carrier intended the humidifier to be controlled via the ABCD (to their thermostat) and the HUM and 24VCOM connections to the humidifier.

It all works fine (except the humidifier) with the Honeywell thermostat pictured. This thermostat has no provision to control humidity.

Now I wish to install the Ecobee with voice and get the humidifier working. I connect the same wires, R G C(blue) Y W, to the Ecobee but it wants a 6th wire (acc/aux) to control the humidifier. Is there anyway to do this with only 5 wires? Else I'll have to pull a new 6 wire cable which sounds like a big pain.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-14-20, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
They make wire expanders or add-a-wire adapters.
I try not to use them as they aren't terribly reliable.
Add-a-wire by venstar

You need another conductor. I run new cable.
Typically an 8 conductor in your application although you only need 6.

Old 10-15-20, 07:39 AM
B
Pete, thanks for your replies, they have helped me to dig deeper and learn more.

I have read thru the furnace manual, learned about all the DIP switch settings and jumpers, and convinced myself:
1. I want to implement 2 speed heating and cooling.
2. The humidifier will require an extra wire.

I've purchased and pulled an additional 18/7 cable, leaving the original 5 wire cable in place as 8 wires are necessary.
R 24V
C common
G fan
Y1 low cooling
Y2 high cooling
W1 low heat
W2 high heat
acc/aux humidifier

The Ecobee will be delivered tomorrow, I'll need to read a bit about its acc/aux and perhaps change my humidifier wiring to match; active high or active low, relay or not. At this point I am confident I'll get it all to work, 2 speed heat and cool plus humidifier should make this a very comfortable and quite system.

Bob

Old 10-15-20, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
You can connect the ACC+ wire directly to the relay you already have,