Aprilaire 600 to Carrier 59TP6B using Nest Gen 3

Old 01-23-21, 03:23 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600 to Carrier 59TP6B using Nest Gen 3

Hello everyone,

This is a great forum, that I have used a couple of times, especially PJs diagrams.

I am running in to issues with my Humidifier not working with my system. When it calls for water it trips the Nest with an E108 error code referencing overcurrent.

i previously had my humidifier hooked up to an old Lennox through a switch relay and 24VAC module. When they came to install the Carrier unit they kept everything as it was, plugged it to the HUM on the board. That night my furnace didnt work because it blew the fuse. Had another Tech come back and suggested that I dont use the HUM and just go from the * on the Nest to the Solenoid on the Humidifier and thats where I am at now.

one wire from the humidifier solenoid goes to the COM terminal and the other goes to the * on the Nest.

The furnace installers say there is no issue and Nest says I have the overcurrent issue and maybe there is an incompatibility issue. Simply the furnace people wont come out, so if this is a bigger issues I am going to need to find a new HVAC person to try and fix it.

Everything else is working fine, connections listed from Nest to Carrier board. Y1 to Y/Y2, G to G, Rc to R, W1 to W/W1, C to COM.

any thoughts? Is my issue simply because the connection does not involve the HUM on the Carrier board? Or do I need to bring back the switch relay?

Old 01-23-21, 04:17 PM
P

This is how im hooked up currently but Rc, not Rh.

Old 01-23-21, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Take the wire out of the * terminal and touch it to RC. Does the humidifier operate normally ?
A typical humidifier solenoid draws 4va or 4 watts of power.
The nest can handle 1A or 24w max..... although I wouldn't trust it for that amount.

So overcurrent is telling me there is a possible wiring problem or the solenoid coil is going bad.

Old 01-23-21, 06:55 PM
P
Yah that was no good. It blew the fuse in the furnace board. I had another so was able to fix that.

Old 01-23-21, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Then you've confirmed a wiring problem/short or defective solenoid.

Old 01-23-21, 08:08 PM
P
Hmmm, well wiring seems right... not sure how to find a short. Maybe I will have to start with the solenoid.

Thanks for some direction!

Old 01-23-21, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
I use a meter to check continuity of the solenoid. You could leave all your wiring connected but disconnect the solenoid itself. If the wiring doesn't blow the fuse..... it's a bad solenoid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: