Wait 5000 water delivery problem

Old 02-23-21, 09:00 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wait 5000 water delivery problem

I bought Wait 5000 humidifier to replace my old one and got into problems with their water connection. It consist of plastic tube with 2 press fittings, one connecting it to self piercing valve sitting on a cold water pipe, second one to plastic body of a humidifier valve. These press fittings are poorly made, they included two kind of ferrules, plastic and brass but plastic ones are too big to fit the entrance of the valve, so I was forced to use brass ones. They fit but hardly, OK in a self piercing valve made of brass as well, not so good in plastic body of humidifier valve. Additionally brass nuts for these fittings are too short and in a case of humidifier valve I cant reach more than perhaps two threads of a plastic threaded entrance to the valve. To add insult to injury, inner brass inserts instead to be press fit into plastic tube are completely loose there. With all regular stores closed in my area ( Toronto ) where can I get another water connection better made than this?
Or perhaps is it possible to buy a reinforced tube with attached connectors for this, like pipes connecting bigger appliances to water supply?

Last edited by Adam M.; 02-23-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-23-21, 01:35 PM
A
Nobody answered so this is a solution I found.
Glued these 2 bras inserts to the inside of a tube using JB Weld and after a few tries got nearly not leaking connection. Should be good for a few days, but as a permanent solution bought a braided hose with 1/4 female fittings 4 feet long ( for ice maker originally) .

Old 02-23-21, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Glad you got it working. I only use Aprilaire units so I'm not intimately familiar with Wait units but I have seen problems with push-in water line connections. I do not use saddle valves.

Wait 5000/6000 installation video

Old 03-01-21, 06:01 AM
A
What do you use?
I was concerned with saddle valve when installing it for the first time, but it worked in my house for good 30 years without leaking. Certainly when I touched it now it started leaking so I replaced it for another one which was the part of a Wait kit, but I am always happy to find better solution. Push in water connection is a good idea, but it has to be executed correctly.

Old 03-01-21, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
I use a 1/2" solder-in ball valve with a 1/2" to 1/4" compression fitting adapter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: