Humidifier fell and crashed to pieces

Old 04-23-21, 07:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Humidifier fell and crashed to pieces

I heard a big cash sound yesterday when I was working in the house but I couldn't find why, until this afternoon when I went downstairs to the basement, I felt hot then I was shocked when I saw the humidifier fell on the ground with pieces and dust everywhere in the utility room, leaving a big hole above the furnace

Big hole above the furnace

pieces on the ground

I asked myself many times, why, why, why???
I don't have any pets in the house, and if a small animal like squirrel(never seen one in the house) should not have that kind of power to break the hardware mounted with screws…

I have never turned on or used the humidifier for two years since I moved in this house, because I was told it could cause mold in the vents. And I am fine not to use it in the future.
But could you please advise 1) if I should buy a new humidifier to reinstall it(benefits? a must to sell the house in the future?), or 2) if I should just simply buy a metal board to block the hole, tape it around to prevent air leaking?
If 2), any risk if I leave all the cables, water pipes, as is(hanging around)? where should I buy the metal board and what kind of tape I should use to seal? any temporary solution to block the hole before I can buy the right board for long term?

I really appreciate any comments or suggestions, so I can fix this problem *safely* and start getting heat to the house.

The humidifier is Aprilaire model 760.

Thank you!

Last edited by beeth2006; 04-23-21 at 07:19 PM.

Popular Reply

04-24-21, 03:59 AM
Steamboy
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
Almost every house in colder climates need a humidifier. If the air in your house gets too dry then you should have one. That said, if you really do not want a humidifier, cover that hole with anything; wood, metal, most any cover. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask a sales or stock person for the flat sheet metal used for duct work. It is in the heating cooling aisle. . They all stock this flat metal. It is about 24x24 so you may want to cut it too the right size. You can use screws or duct tape and don't worry about it's thermal conductivity.

Old 04-23-21, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I don't see much holding that in place.
I'd say it's time to replace it. too many pieces to put back together.

You can just cover that hole with a piece of tin and some metal foil tape.

beeth2006 voted this post useful.
Old 04-23-21, 07:41 PM
B
Hi Pete, thanks for the quick response!

Do you think it's worth to replace it with a new humidifier? Yeah, I also think it's hard to put the existing parts all together.

If I just cover the whole with tin, do you know if I should disconnect the wires and pipes for safety purpose? I noticed a wire connecting to the furnace control board…

BTW, what should I search for the "tin" board you mentioned to cover the hole? I tried to search that from the websites of HomeDepot and Lowes but I couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks again!

Last edited by beeth2006; 04-23-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 10:52 PM
B
If I use a sheet metal which is metal, conduction, easy to transfer heat or cold. Is there a special sheet metal good for this purpose like the vent material? If so, what's the spec for that? like thermal conductivity? should I pick stainless steel over aluminum?

Old 04-24-21, 03:59 AM
S
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
Almost every house in colder climates need a humidifier. If the air in your house gets too dry then you should have one. That said, if you really do not want a humidifier, cover that hole with anything; wood, metal, most any cover. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask a sales or stock person for the flat sheet metal used for duct work. It is in the heating cooling aisle. . They all stock this flat metal. It is about 24x24 so you may want to cut it too the right size. You can use screws or duct tape and don't worry about it's thermal conductivity.

beeth2006, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-24-21, 04:19 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
I was told it could cause mold in the vents.
That is first I have ever heard that comment and it's now officially on the "Wives Tales" list.

As noted a humidifier is a must for comfort in cold climate areas!

Old 04-24-21, 05:15 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
You have not used it for two years and have not noticed any bad side effects from not using it so I would not bother replacing it. Just cover and seal the hole with a piece of tin.
I would also disconnect and cap off the water supply and electrical.

Also this looks like an older low efficiency furnace so when it needs to be replaced in the future the humidity in the house will rise with a nerw high efficiency unit.

Old 04-24-21, 05:24 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Most likely the plastic parts got brittle and just lost all integrity. a little bit of vibration and it crashed.
But I agree, you want the humidifier during the cold months.

Old 04-24-21, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
I have never needed or wanted a humidifier for "comfort". Marketing has trained people to want them.

Old 04-24-21, 06:08 AM
H
Received 161 Votes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by beeth2006
If I just cover the whole with tin, do you know if I should disconnect the wires and pipes for safety purpose? I noticed a wire connecting to the furnace control board…
The wires to the control board should be low voltage DC, (thus the "do not connect to line voltage tag) so you can safely work with 12 or 24v wires - loosen the wire nut, pull apart the twisted wires, then re-screw the wire nut without worrying about a shock.

It appears the humidifier fan is separately powered, so at least you've got an attic exhaust fan out of the event.

You can use almost anything to block the opening temporarily - cardboard from an amazon box, plexiglass, tin/metal, traffic sign. If you're not in a hurry, political primaries are coming up, many candidates use a 'plastic cardboard' material with a "H" shaped wire frame. Two of those signs slid onto the same "H" frame can be VERY handy (some duck tape required)...

Old 04-24-21, 06:11 AM
X, have you never had furniture like chairs or desks get wobbly or creak in the winter? How about getting up with a dry throat or restricted breathing while sleeping in winter?
Less moisture in the air in winter is not a conspiracy. It's real. Glued joints dry out. Static electricity is at a high during winter. (I use to like to rub my shoes along the rug and tough the tip of the dog's nose ). After awhile it didn't phase him and the fun ran out .
I actually have a dilemma. Since I have a 3D printer it's necessary to keep the filament as dry as possible. I want the moisture in the winter but not to affect the filament. Come summer the humidity rises and it's more comfortable but my filament is at risk.

Old 04-24-21, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
I'm not a flower so I can handle a little dry air. I work outside practically all day so whatever it is outside I can't change it, so why bother. How ever did people survive without them.

Old 04-24-21, 07:35 AM
Well suppose you could say the same thing about indoor plumbing.

Marq1 voted this post useful.
Old 04-24-21, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 297 Posts
I installed a humidifier to my furnace and I can't tell any difference. My wife says she can but I think it mostly because the cats get a lot of static in their fur. I think it is mostly a personal preference.

Either way, the home stores will have sheet metal in the HVAC section. They will also have new humidifiers if you want to put one back on.

Old 04-24-21, 09:27 AM
B
Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments!
I am going to Homedepot today for:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...0537/204325599
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...2698/100048600

Please let me know if you don't think they are the right tools for this.
Thanks again!

Old 04-24-21, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 297 Posts
Old 04-24-21, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
It doesn't have to be screwed on. The tape will hold fine.

Old 04-25-21, 08:56 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is that mold?

And if it is, is that a problem?

Old 04-26-21, 12:17 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
No. it's a color band they put on the humidifier medium to show installation direction/location!

Old 04-26-21, 12:09 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ha!

Well don't look at me... *I* didn't knock the darned thing out of the wall...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: