Ecobee + Humidifier + Condensation Pump

Old 04-24-21, 10:34 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ecobee + Humidifier + Condensation Pump

I currently have an Ecobee installed and working to a Lennox EGC-1 control board. This works great for temp controls, but we also have a Lennox WS1-18-2 humidifier that we've been controlling with the manual humidistat. In line with the humidistat/solenoid is also a condensation pump attached to the same 24v transformer. I've already run additional 18/2 wiring, and I have some other old existing 18/4 wiring as well.

Here's a diagram of the wirings for these components, there's other stuff connected as well but I think these are what we care about:

How would I go about removing the old humidistat and letting the ecobee deal with the humidity settings? The condensation pump is what is throwing me off, because it's wired with the HTC ACC (from the transformer) does this mean it only will kick on when the HTC ACC is triggered (heating accessory, I think?). This condensation pump is connected to both the humidifier and the AC drain line as well.

Here are some other images, attempting to detail the wiring:

The 24V transformer (24v Top goes to Solenoid, bottom white connected to condensate pump, 120v black connected to HTC_ACC and white connected to white commons)

24V transformer model

Condensation pump and wiring (Green and White are sleeved here) - Red going to Humidistat, white coming from 24v transformer

EGC-1 Control board (Ecobee wires going out R/G/W/Y/C, same with AC 18/2 from Y/C)

Close up of HTC_ACC, which is connected to the Black 120V on the 24v Transformer

Humidistat

Wiring below humidistat (Red is coming from Condensate pump, white is connection to solenoid, other lead from solenoid is connecting to 24v white coming from transformer load)

Control board diagram - I realized this was blurry too late, can get a better picture if it's useful.

Any ideas? My first thought is to just go ACC- and ACC+ in line with where the existing humidistat is, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-21, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need two spare wires from the furnace to the stat to use ACC+ and ACC-.
That's what the diagram shows.

It can also be done with one wire and relay if you're short on spare wires.

The two wires going to the condensate pump connect to an overflow float. If the pump fails and the unit fills with water.... the switch opens cutting the water to the humidifier.

Old 04-25-21, 08:30 PM
J
Thanks for the advice, and welcome.

I went ahead and wired like the updated diagram, should I be able to use the Test Humidifier function after configuring the ecobee for 2 wire humidifier, even though heat isnít running? I ran the test and the blower fan came on, but the solenoid didnít open.

Prior to deciding to switch the humidifier over to ecobee, the solenoid was buzzing pretty loud when running so I went and picked up a new transformer in case that was the issue. Now Iím thinking the solenoid may have been going out.

Old 04-26-21, 08:04 PM
J
Hereís my update for today:

decided to hit the transformer, solenoid, and wiring with a multimeter to test the voltage across a couple points. The transformer is giving out about 27/29 volts with no issues there, probing the terminals that connect to the solenoid, I was only seeing about 5V though. I tied the solenoid directly to the transformer and it was able to open up still, but only when the full 24V was applied - it was also buzzing about the same as when it was working with the old humidistat.

Going to do some research on this solenoid and see what requirements it has. Also tried removing the pump from the equation, and saw the same issue.

Old 04-26-21, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
You're using the Ecobee in place of the old humidistat.
Make sure you have it programmed for 2 wire activation.
That needs to be done before connection to humidifier.

Old 04-26-21, 10:26 PM
J
Well, after reconfiguring the wiring several times and restarting everything, I finally found the issue between keyboard and mouse. In the settings in the phone app, this was disabled:

Switched it on and everything works.

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: