Chinese Dehumidifier Refrigerant Leaks

Old 05-01-21, 07:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chinese Dehumidifier Refrigerant Leaks

Does anybody but me believe the Chinese build these dehumidifiers with intentional leaks? I've got several Sears 1960's vintage R-12 units that work perfectly fine, but consume massive amounts of energy. Then I've gone through about 5 Chinese units that don't last more than 2-3 years. 2 of them actually leaked refrigerant out after less than a year and were replaced under warranty only to fail again with refrigerant leaks. Has anyone tried to recharge with a sealer? I've got one on the bench currently that was flat, I recharged w/ R-134a and it is working perfect today, wondering how bad the leak is and if it all leaks out in a month or so, could it be charged with a sealer that works in contact with moisture. And I don't need to hear about all the legalities of charging a known leaking system.

Old 05-01-21, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,529 Votes on 1,412 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

And I don't need to hear about all the legalities of charging a known leaking system.
Then why ask ?

Leak stopper will not stop the leak. It may slow it down.
Leak stopper does a good job of plugging cap tubes and expansion valves.

Old 05-04-21, 02:42 AM
S
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
This new stuff is not made to last indefinitely but is supposed to be able to be made quickly and cheaply .. The older A/C systems that used R-12 and R 500 lasted for generations and were almost trouble free. Not so with these newer systems..

Old 05-04-21, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
It is not only dehumidifiers. Window air conditioners also have a relatively short life. It's all in the quest for cheap. One way to reduce cost is to simply have less "stuff" or material in the product. If you have ever lifted a 20 or 30 year old dehumidifier or window AC you'll find a significant difference in heft with a modern unit. Everything was thicker and heavier and tended to last longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: