Aprilaire 400 solenoid wiring question

Old 11-30-22, 08:39 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 400 solenoid wiring question

Hello all,

I just replaced an 18 year old Honeywell HE265 humidifier. Unfortunately, I cut all of the wires away and installed all of the new hardware without taking a photo of my previous wiring job, I am not an electrician.
The new Controller (60) seems very complicated and so, I thought that I might just re-use the old controller. The old controller was connected to the top or 24V side of the transformer with two wires. But I cannot remember if I connected the old solenoid to the hot side of the transformer...which makes sense. The hot side is hot or open when the heat turns on.

Can I simply wire the Aprilaire solenoid to the hot side of the transformer, assuming 110 v is a suitable power type? ...one of the two yellow wires coming out of the solenoid is connected to a white wire that runs to two probes at the bottom of the humidifier unit. All of this wiring is in an electric box.

The furnace is very old and all of the solenoids that are controlled by our thermostat were wired by an electrician when we installed central air, so I know nothing about that part of the furnace. There is no R or C or anything on that side of the furnace...custom job I guess.

Apologies for the litany! I am happy to send photos...

Michael

Old 12-01-22, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pictures of your wiring... at the furnace too... are very helpful.
How to insert pictures.

meboice voted this post useful.
Old 12-01-22, 09:07 AM
M
Aprilaire 400 solenoid wiring questions

This photo shows the new transformer wired to the furnace. The black and white feeds (I am not an electrician) are hot only when the furnace or blower turn on. The previous controller was wired to the top or 24V side of the transformer. I believe that I simply wired the old solenoid to the black and white or hot wires in the box...but I am not sure if the new solenoid uses 110V?

If I can wire the solenoid to 110V, I wonder if I can disconnect the white wire - both go to probes at the bottom of the humidifier - and simply wire the two yellow wires to the hot wires in the box - again, these have power only when the furnace/blower turn on

The relay on the back of the furnace that is tied into the thermostat and the blower motor

old transformer

Aprilaire wiring diagram...which I am sure that I could follow if my insanely old furnace was labeled...

Thank you again!

Michael

Last edited by PJmax; 12-01-22 at 01:10 PM. Reason: resized pics/labeled one
Old 12-01-22, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
stat ---------- color ------- fan center
Rc ----------> Blue ----------> R
Y ------------> Yellow -------> Y ----------> white wire to a/c condenser.
----------------------------------> C ---------> red wire to a/c condenser
G ------------> Green -------> G

W -----------> White --------> white wire to burner (TT)
Rh ----------> Red -----------> red wire to burner (TT)

The diagram below is the basic installation using your old manual humidistat.
The solenoid valve is 24vac.
Let me know if you want to use the 60 humidistat as that requires more extensive wiring.

Old 12-01-22, 02:32 PM
M
Wow! This is so helpful... I can use the old controller, but, it might be nice to use the new controller...however, I do not think that this is possible...I will give this a shot late tomorrow using the old controller.

Funny, I re-wired my entire house including a new 200 amp service...the inspector suggested that I do this for a living. But, the logic required for relays is a bit more difficult...especially when I'm under time crunches.

Thank you Pete!

Michael

Old 12-01-22, 02:33 PM
M
Oh! and thank you for marking up the furnace relay

Old 12-01-22, 02:46 PM
M
The Aprilaire 60 Controller

This is the Aprilaire 60 controller

Old 12-02-22, 11:30 AM
M
Pete,

Thank you again, everything works! And after I saw your diagram, I pieced together my old wiring, which was still connected to the solenoid and transformer...and that's how I wired it 18 years ago.

Michael

Old 12-02-22, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome. Just let me know if you need a diagram for the A60 and I'll come up with one.

Old 12-05-22, 06:38 AM
M
Thank you! The A60 seems like is has a lot of technology...that I may not need? The only option that makes some sense - and this is a novice comment - is the ability to have to A60 call on the fan (no heat) if the humidity drops below the set threshold...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: