AprilAire 700 and Ecobee Premium Wiring

Old 01-24-23, 03:59 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AprilAire 700 and Ecobee Premium Wiring

I have been reading through every thread I could find today to better understand how to wire the AprilAire 700 with the Ecobee. I feel like I found most of what I need help with, but not entirely.

I have the Ecobee Premium and that is installed and working correctly (no PEK). I just installed the AprilAire 700 a few days ago...except the wiring. I want to have the Ecobee control the humidifier.

I have a spare brown wire at the stat not in use. I believe this should connect to ACC+ on the stat and the other end to 1 yellow wire to the solenoid. The remaining yellow wire on the solenoid should go to the C terminal on the furnace.

On the newer 700, I am not sure how I need to wire up the brown wires from the humidifier. Shorting them is for the older model, if I understood correctly? Where am I connecting the brown wires?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-24-23, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

On the newer 700, I am not sure how I need to wire up the brown wires from the humidifier. Shorting them is for the older model, if I understood correctly? Where am I connecting the brown wires?
The yellow wires are a direct connection to the solenoid. That's what is found on most bypass humidifiers. You have have a fan forced humidifier. That's why the wires are brown. Those two wires control an internal relay that turns on the internal fan and powers the solenoid. All of the 700's have their own 24v transformer inside. The old almond colored model required the brown wires to be shorted to operate. The newer gray colored models require 24v on the brown wires.

If there is ever a question.... just connect the wires together. It will start if it's the older model.
It will do nothing if it's the newer model.
Your wiring is correct for the newer model. One brown wire to C and one wire to ACC+.

ThatMilkThing voted this post useful.
Old 01-25-23, 08:11 AM
T
Thank you! I was reading through the forum yesterday while at work yesterday. When I got home, I realized the yellow cables were not part of the equation. So I did exactly as you mentioned above and it's all working. I was paying close attention to all of your comments in the forum yesterday. Very helpful and I appreciate your efforts.

I only got to watch it in action a short time last night. I'm a little confused why one time the humidifier ran while the HVAC fan was running (no heat) and the next time, the humidifier was not running when only the HVAC fan was running. Humidity level wasn't reached yet, so that wasn't the reason. I'll watch it more as the days go on.

Old 01-25-23, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
What you are describing would be an issue with the nest itself or the * programming for the humidifier.

Old 01-25-23, 05:26 PM
T
Makes sense. I was just playing around with the fan on/off to see what would happen. Normally, the HVAC fan only runs when heat or A/C is on anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: