crossbow or rifle

Old 12-12-02, 02:36 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
crossbow or rifle

Crossbow or rifle? Which is more effective and accurate for hunting?Why would anyone use a crossbow? I know some hunters will use nothing other than a crossbow.It seems to me a crossbow arrow point has to drag the arrow behind it which reduces its efficiency.Maybe its nostalgia.

Last edited by davidf; 12-12-02 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Why a crossbow?

Best reason I can think of, is expressed in the following link.
http://www.visi.com/~bluff/crossbow/

As far as rifle vs. crossbow. What do you think below?
http://www.hatchergun.com/IMAGES/Rem_308_Tgt1.jpg

So far we have discovered rifles may be a better choice, for a clean one shot kill.

CrossBows are not legal in most states for hunting, except for very handicaped people, wanting to enjoy archery & would not be able to pull a Bow.

Marturo

Last edited by Forums; 12-13-02 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-13-02, 02:01 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
War rifle ok

I have a .303 British Ensign which was used in WWII, is this sufficient for hunting?The shell casing is about four inches long and the bullet is huge.Is it good enough to hunt a big animal?

Last edited by davidf; 12-13-02 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-13-02, 05:44 PM
Question bow or rifle

I have often been curious about the same deal. Not about the war gun, but about using a crossbow.

My sister in law used a bow, but I don't think she actually hunted to kill anything. Just enjoyed shooting targets.

I worried about those (when I lived deeper in Miss.) choosing a bow over rifles since I thought that a rifle would be better insurance of a kill than a poor deer running around with a bow stuck in its leg. I vaguely remember them having a bow season.

I was told by one that it made the hunt harder? Maybe more challenging was the correct wording. Mind you, this was told to me by my ex-brother in law who used every bit of the meat he could. If he didn't have room for it in his deep freeze or thought it might go to waste, he shared it with family and friends. He is a good man, who also ministers to those in the jail.

I do understand animal control issues and how it protects us. Some of them anyway, but I am sure there are a lot more reasons that I'm not aware of today.

Kay

Old 12-13-02, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Smile Mine might be similar.

davidf:

Could you mean Enfield?

I own a 303 British calibre Lee-Enfield.
It has been converted to a sport model that looks and shoots like a current firearm.

Haven't used it in a long time, but it was as accurate as a friend's Browning 308, with similar ballistics.

Does yours have the original peep site with a flip-up for 1500 yard range or has it been converted?

Old 12-13-02, 07:31 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
enfield-it has the flip sight.

Old 12-14-02, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Smile I forgot to mention.

davidf:

If you were contemplating using this gun or letting someone else use it, a trip to the gunsmith would be a good idea.

The rifle I bought was a military rifle converted to a sporting gun, and was originally never used by the military.
I guess the war was won before it could be put in service.

Some rifles were sold that had been in service and had thousands of rounds run through them, mostly in training.
These also were sold to the public, unfortunately some were quite worn when the military was finished with them.

Better safe than sorry.

Old 12-15-02, 07:13 AM
B
one other reason for using a crossbow would be in some suburban areas they only allow a bow or crossbow due to population densitys and the arrows short range so nothing can be injured or damaged by a stray bullet,
but the rifle is the best choice hands down there really isnt any comparison, as was mentioned in another post you need to check your local laws cause in the state where i live you can use a crossbow in rifle season only, but in archery season you cant.
there is other states that allow the crossbow to be used in archery season.

Old 12-15-02, 07:34 AM
bejay, thanks for answering. Now, I just have more questions

I must have my bows and crossbows mixed up. Crossbows are the type that lock into place and are released the same way a bullet is, by a trigger? I can understand those being used only during rifle season.

I was under the impression that bow season meant a bow and arrow, like the indians used to hunt. Bow season=archery season?

Thank you for answering my questions. I am so uneducated in this area.

Kay

Old 12-16-02, 02:29 PM
SB
kay...yes and yes

the crossbow is fired like a rifle, trigger release, etc.

yes, bow season=archery season.

the "one shot, kill" or arrow versus bullet question is fairly easy. most tests done show that a properly placed arrow is just as, sometimes more effective than a bullet. the reason? because you cannot shoot a deer, etc. more than 30 yards or so with an arrow.

practice, practice, practice!! anyone and everyone who hunts should be very aware of their limitations and their weapons limitations. there is very little excuse for not recovering your game...not saying it does not happen, but the more practice you have the better your odds are!

Old 12-17-02, 12:52 PM
Mr Jody Hudson
Visiting Guest
My observations; from hunting with all of the above...

The bow, straight bow, recurve or compound style with the pulleys -- usually shoot a relatively heavy arrow compared to the shorter, lighter "bolt" fired from the crossbow.

A well tuned bow or crossbow with modern arrows or bolts does not absolutely need feathers or fletching. In fact, although the fletching does allow a poorer arrow or bolt to fly more true from a less well tuned bow -- from a WELL tuned bow with modern arrows you can get straighter flights at higher speeds and flatter trajectories than with fletched projectiles.

The arrow and bolt are quiet but not totally so. They are slower by far so the deer or other animal OFTEN will jump and thus the projectile will hit a different place on the animal than where you intended.

With LOTS of practice the bolt or arrow CAN be effective out to even 75 or 100 yards BUT you really risk a bad hit under the stresses of hunting and the animal will often jump enough to make a very bad hit or a miss. Best ranges with the different bows are fairly judged to be UNDER 25 to 30 yards by responsible hunters.

The heavier arrow from a recurve or straight bow has greater penetration and can easily handle a larger cutting surface as it has a longer heavier shaft to push it through.

Modern hunting heads are FAR ahead of most of what the ancients had to use as they fly faster, straighter and in some cases are sharper.

I prefer those expensive cutting heads that stay folded up until they hit the quarry and then open up to a huge set of blades to cut the largest hole possible and give me the least chance of having the quarry get into the bush, briars, swamp or worst of all, jump into a stream or river and start swimming away -- only to die a slow death where I can't get to it.

No matter what you do; study well, pay NO attention to movies and such but listen well to real hunters who know the tools you intend to use and then practice a lot as mentioned above.

Crossbows do NOT work the way Rambo used his. They are short range tools with LOTS of curve in the dropping trajectory of the bolt at even fairly short distances.

The nice thing about a crossbow is that you can use it in archery season, if you are legally allowed to, and you don't have the difficulty of spooking the intended quarry with drawing and aiming as much, since the crossbow is already drawn.

I see lots of people with scopes on crossbows thinking that is sensible. Yes it is, IF you know the EXACT range down to a couple of feet that you will be shooting. Otherwise

Old 01-08-03, 08:13 AM
Thanks to all- this has been a VERY helpful thread to me. I generally only hunt with a shotgun since that's all I have (never mind the 15 fishing rods piled up in the corner next to the 4-ft stack of fishing tackle).

I've often considered archery and you have all answered a lot of questions. Thanks again!

Matt

Old 01-18-03, 07:01 AM
Jermy
Visiting Guest
Rifle or Crossbow?

David,
This is a good question. I have been a Bowhunter Ed. Instructor for almost 10 years now. And we have this question come up every year in class. The rifle is by far more effective. I have shot game with both. I will never use a crossbow again. I found my compound is much more effective. The crossbow bolts tend to go through the game. In Montana, we have a law that you can only use crossbows in the rifle season.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: