cat fishing

Old 02-05-03, 06:01 AM
SB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cat fishing

anyone? anyone?

i like to consider myself as a non snobbish fisherman

what i mean is that i like to bass fish, saltwater, etc..but i dont look down on folks who like to sit with a worm and bobber catching bream, etc.

this year during my bass tournaments i am going to run juglines for catfish. anyone else ever run juglines?

if so, let me hear about your experiences...i have made some designs that i hope will work..they will be put to the test this weekend

Old 02-06-03, 08:16 AM
texastile
Visiting Guest
SB
I have run jug lines from time to time with a lot of success. As for design every one has his own. Main concern should be depth of the bait. Those whiskered devils don't like to travel far or fast for food this time of the year so put the bait in there kitchen and they will bite.
I have only fished a few bass torments but don't think I would waste fishing time checking my lines. I sure would be upset if that 10 + pound bass took the bait on a jug and I couldn't weigh her in.

Let us know how you do.

Old 02-14-03, 01:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Not sure of your definition of 'juglines' but my brother, father, and I have always run setlines out on the Mississippi backwaters, larger lakes, and across the occasional pond. Some of them up to 25-hook lines.

We usually just pile them with nite-crawlers and let them soak over night. Sure, there's routinely 3 or 4 leaders snapped from impatient northern, muskie, etc. But 80% of the rest have either bullheads or cats on. That other 20% is kind of a grab bag. We've pulled up fresh water eels, perch, snapping turtles, socks... even a dead muskrat once. The excitement never stops, lol.

Old 02-14-03, 06:08 AM
SB
webmaster..thats funny! i remember checking my lines one time in a local swamp...there were 10 catfish heads on them...thats right, all of the bodies were gone...i also saw a 5 foot gator about 20 yards from me...i am sure he appreciated the free meal!

what i mean by juglines is just what it sounds like...you get a jug (bleach bottle, 2 liter, etc) tie a piece of line (usually about 80 pound test)...tie a brick on the bottom and a couple hooks up off the bottom...just toss em out and check em every once in a while. the same idea as throw lines, trot lines, etc...just a little bit more mobile!

textile..dont worry, i fish media bass, not really big time tournys

Old 02-14-03, 03:05 PM
T
Cat fishing

We ran trot lines when I was a kid. We would run the line across Twelve Pole before it got dark. Then, we would get situated on the creek bank. We kids would cast out our lines and tear a piece of notebook paper and slip over the line so we could tell if the line was moving. There was just enough light from the fire to keep an eye on the line. Dad had his recipe for dough balls. Vanilla flavoring was his secret ingredient.

Cat fish are good eating, but gosh I hate to clean those things. Knowing what I know now about stream pollution, I would be hesitant to eat a catfish I caught in Twelve Pole.

Bamboo poles & boppers were what we had when we were kids. We kids caught buckets of blue gills, sun fish, and rock bass. If we wanted meat, we had to go fishing. The tails were always my favorite part. Extra crispy.

By the time the sun came up, Mom had the fire rolling and the fish cleaned. We fried them for breakfast. Always took a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread. Those were the days!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: