catching bait??

Old 02-13-03, 03:52 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
catching bait??

I am trying to catch bait in northern maine for ice fishing but am not having much luck. I am using a metal minnow trap one of those cone shaped ones but despite trying 2 different ponds all i can catch is a couple shiners that are so small the could almost swim out through the wire mesh. I am using bread for bait and have seen people catch a lot of good size shiners out of one of these ponds so what am i doing wrong or what should i try. Thanks, Butterfingers

Old 02-13-03, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Personally, I recommend using glass bottle traps in semi-slow moving rivers & streams, with bread crumbs. Place them right on the edge between the main current and the eddie pools, so that the bread crumbs can get carried downstream, but still leave a trail back to the trap.

I'd say the metal basket-style traps like that are better for catching baby cats, bullhead, & crayfish.

Old 03-04-03, 04:02 AM
Spazzalot
Visiting Guest
Big minnows are lazy!

Larger minnows will actually do this...

They will swim up to your trap. Right to the bread. Then they will "suck" the bread right through the side of the trap!!!

I've seen it. Especially with sucker minnows!

My dad ran a baitshop in northern ontario for years. We all helped with minnow trapping.

There is a solution...

Give me a bit. be right back....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: