a tip for you baitcasters

Old 03-06-03, 06:40 AM
SB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a tip for you baitcasters

I just learned this the other day (see, you can teach an old dog new tricks )

if you fish with baitcasters and have the occasional backlash, i found a way to keep it much more manageable.

when you first load your reel up with new line, on your FIRST cast, put a heavy (1 oz or so) weight on your line and cast it as far as you possibly can...then pull another 10 pulls or so out. then, get a piece of tape and put it across the line thats left on the reel.

basically what you are doing is pulling out enough line (more than you will ever need, even if you have a big fish and she pulls out drag) so that IF you get a backlash it will not get down in the bottom half of your line...you know, the kind you can NEVER get out!

also, a product that many of you may be familar with is "reel magic". i LOVE this stuff...it helps keep the memory out of your line!

Old 03-06-03, 08:09 AM
D
Hey, I like that idea...I don't know how many times I have been on the river bank trying to pick a birds nest out of my reel. I will be doing that first thing in the spring...with my salmon rod and a 3 oz weight...I have tried the "reel magic" and it works pretty good.

Old 03-06-03, 07:15 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
That tip was worth the price of addmision.Thanks i to will be doing this !

Old 03-08-03, 10:27 AM
D
I told my dad, who is an avid salmon fisherman, about this trick last night...and he says to me..."well that sounds pretty neat, but I don't get bird nests in my reel anymore"...I can't wait for the first day of the season to see the look on his face when he is picking the first one out 'cause he didn't try the tape trick.....lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: