Most memorable hunt?

Old 04-11-03, 06:55 PM
360hp350
Visiting Guest
Most memorable hunt?

I hope to get a lot of replies on this thread. I love reading about other people's hunts. I have posted mine in the rifle section but I will post it again.

I hunted all morning until about 10 am. I saw a little yearling, I raised up on it and didn't want to take it because it was opening day. So I met up with my dad and we were heading out of the soy bean field(in our truck) when we saw a big rack and stopped to look at it. It was out in the middle of the bean field. It spotted us and we thought it ran into the woods. So we we drove west then turned south and pulled in a driveway place to access the beans. We got out and walked along the edge of the woods. I sat down right along the edge while dad walked around to see if he could push it to me. I sat for about 20 minutes and out of boredom, was watching the field and spotted the rack walking around in the beans. Of course I was ecstatic so I took off after it crouched down in the beans. I got within about 400 yards when dad came out of the woods( he had the .270) so I hollered at him and pointed toward the deer. He saw it and I waited impatiently for him to crawl up to where I was. He got there and we started the stalk. We got to where we thought was about 250-300 yards away. I felt pretty confident I could hit it from there so I used my dad's shoulder as a rest for the rifle. I had the worse case of buck fever probably ever documented. I could make out the critters shoulder so I squeezed of a shell( I probably jerked the trigger harder than I ever had) and waited. The deer lurched but stayed up so I worked the bolt and shot once more than he dropped. That was the greatest feeling I think I have ever experienced. Me and dad were both very excited and we took off looking for him. We found him about 10 minutes later and drug him to a ditch in the middle of the field then later picked him up with the 4 wheeler. No non-hunter would know the feeling of taking a big old pretty buck. There you have it I will try to post a picture of the deer. I am the one on the right if it works. Mine was a typical 8 my buddies was a non-typical 14. Sorry for the poor quality.

Old 04-14-03, 07:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've got alot of great success stories but the funnest are the bloopers.. Two that come to mind are as follows..

1. While crossbow hunting I was sitting on the ground with my back against a tree facing an interchange of trails where I've had great success in the past. Heard a noise and a fox came around the corner up the trail and walks right past me which was cool. Heard him rustling around behind me for a while so decided to twist my head around to take a look and what do I see but this huge buck about 10 yards away in the thicket stairing right at me. I'm frozen stiff with the fever and decide to slowly turn around. By the time I get about 3/4 his way he jumps about 4' in the air, does a 180 and is gone.

2. After about 4 hours in 10 degree weather I was froze to the bone with not even a sighting so I decided to give it up for the day. The truck was parked near where I was hunting so I went and unloaded my gun, took off my gear and went to relieve myself before the long drive home. Walked behind the barn where I was previously hunting and there are at least 12 big doe's. FIGURES!!

Old 04-19-03, 07:46 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I have shot several bucks in my life and have hunted the state of MI. since i was a kid. But as of now my most memerable was last year when my daughter took her first deer. She was posted up on a ridge and i was driving about 10 deer her way she was backed up to a oak tree with muzzel loader in hand. I was able to run the deer past her.I heard the bang and knew it was her, despite being on the other side of the ridge. When she two wayed me and said she had one down and didn'nt know what to do . I told her I would be right there. asked if she saw it go down??? . She said it was down right by her...When i got ther she was sitting less then 5' from it. She shot it at two ft. away!!!In all my hunting i have never seen one shot this close. when i told her to let them come in she did. ( 2' no more)

Old 04-28-03, 08:23 AM
D
Well...I would have to say that my most memorable is definitely the buffalo hunt that I talked about previously.

Another hunt that I enjoyed immensely was a fly-in hunt in Northern British Columbia. My best friends dad, brother and myself flew into a remote lake for a week moose hunting. The almighty Alaskan Moose!! Spreads of over 60" and weighing over 2000 lbs some of them. When we landed on the lake we could see the bull trout boiling on the lake...good thing we brought our fishing rods!! As we banked into the lake I looked out the window of the 1956 Beaver float...and there were about 25 mountain goats looking at me....we forgot the goat tag...lol...oh well....
First day was absolutely beautiful...sunshine..fresh air...we got camp set up, went out and got a couple grouse for dinner..then went to bed for an early morning look about.
Woke up the second day and opened up the tent door....low and behold....6" of fresh snow. lol...gotta love the mountains.
We spent the next week chasing the almighty moose, but we ended up seeing only one cow moose.....Justin got one of the big bull trout....about 5 lbs...
Nevertheles...the trip was fantastic...spent a week in the great outdoors...with noone else around...who could ask for anything more?

Getting out there and just being there is 90% of the fun.

Old 05-01-03, 05:45 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
Dennis -- That sounds like a gas! That is something i have always wanted to do. Been looking into it some, but in Canada.Also thinking Bear. (cheaper)

Old 05-02-03, 11:02 AM
D
EE...I am in Canada , British Columbia...hunting bear is no more or less expensive for us than moose, or elk...or caribou...Fly in hunts are great...just time away from everything.

I bought a horse this spring so I could get out and do some more horse back hunting....that is fantastic. The animals don't even care that you are there if you are on horseback. I can't count the number of times we walked (rode) up within 10 feet of deer. there is something about going out for 3 or 4 days on horseback and just enjoying the country.

Old 05-05-03, 12:47 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
If it wasnt for the dam horse(they hate me)id say when do you want me??

Old 05-06-03, 08:11 AM
D
ee3...horses are interesting creatures...I spend alot of time out in the pasture with them, even when I am not riding. I take them treats frequently....brush them down lots...talk to them....it makes a big difference in how they think of you.

But in saying that, you don't necessarily need a horse to hunt here....there are alot of places you can go and just jump out of the truck and walk for miles...or atv or snowmobile if you have limited capabilities like my father.

Old 05-06-03, 08:21 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
My limited capabilities are mostly mental with just a touch of being broke!

Old 06-01-03, 02:02 PM
tonybud
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Folks- I've enjoyed reading your stories and comments because y'all hunt differently to what I'm accustomed to. I hunt in the Hill Country of Texas. I've been on hunting trips all over Texas, including deep South Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. I love to read stories from the Mid-west because of the difference in your hunting styles and ours. One of these days, I'm going to make it up there and go after one of those brute whitetails. I've seen plenty of 150+ class bucks, but none with the body size that y'all have up there. Keep this ol' Texas Boy in mind, because I may be asking you for advise on how to book a hunt up there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: