Gobblin blues

Old 05-05-03, 11:47 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Gobblin blues

Been a regular visitor to this site for the home improvement stuff and was happy to see this forum. I have posted a few questions in the past and even responded to a few folks. I just recently came back from a brief trip to SouthWestern Illinois to chase some Turkeys. Well I took it easy on them this year so they should have a good summer :-). In actuality first season was a gobbling thunderdome. Some buddies of mine harvested some nice Tom's those first few days. I came in on the second season for a quick trip and just recently for the fourth season. By now the near misses that many Tom's were exposed to in our absence, the mushroom hunters, trespasser hunters, bad callers, and time have all contributed to my inability to get close. Had a blast though. They just were not gobbling much after getting off the roost. Anyway, how did you all do? See ya. PS Ticks are bad in Illinois. Use permanone for sure.

Old 05-05-03, 12:45 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I have not made it out yet here in Mi. (i drew 3rd season) My father in law was out looking around tring to decide if it was worth going or not and spoted 3-jakes and 1 with about a 10" beard. Looks like i will be going after all. good luck to any one else heading out.

Old 05-09-03, 01:34 PM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Just thought I would muscle through an update as difficult as it may be for me. Well, two budies of mine went back to the spot I had been 1 week ago. Remember, very few birds spotted, and even less gobbling. The rain was light this morning so rather then make the treck in the truck to our "hot spot" they settled to walk straight up the hill from the cabin (maybe 200 yards). There is a little set-aside field. Well they happened upon 4 Tom's in the field, and before the cellular broke up, all I heard was "... shots fired... repeat.. shots fired". I guess that's why they call it hunting and not shooting. And to think, some office folk still think Turkey hunting is going to a pen, picking one out like a lobster, and throwin a net around it. Easy my arse. Se ya later :-)

Old 05-09-03, 06:33 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
missed?? how do your budies plan to ever hit a grouse if they cant hit a turkey. have ya checked their barrel for bends or the shells for shot. theres gota be a reason cant be out smarted by a bird with a brain the size of a peanut. kidding!!!

Old 05-12-03, 05:54 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
No miss. I have confirmed that they downed a nice Tom. 10 inch beard, 1 1/4 spurs, 23 lbs.

Old 05-12-03, 05:38 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
Thats why man rules the animal kingdom------- we got guns!!

simular story---my father in law and freind posted up this past week(3rd season) at the break of day they could hear a return call coming from over the ridge. when all of a sudden bang bang bang. they walk over the ridge and there stands two guy's and two dead birds. these two guys explain that they never hunted in the area and thought they would take a look around and walking down the two track not 100yards from there truck two jakes come running down the other ridge (heading for my father in law and these guys each shoot one!! like ya said thats hunting??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: