bass at goofy lake. have you been there?

Old 07-23-03, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile bass at goofy lake. have you been there?

i hurt my left hand yesterday so it's all small case sorry.

back in the early 60s i fished the fresh and salt waters with my dad in panama. i want to share with you 1 of the most unuasual lakes we ever fished.

we started out from fort clayton and headed north towards mexico. since their were mostly just dirt jungle roads we found this small lake like we found all our fishing spots. my dad would load the canoe on top of the car, and pack the tackle in the trunk and go somewhere, anywhere. on this trip we found a small lake.

a clear blue lake surrounded by black lava rock with no green for miles around. hey it was water and that's all my dad needed, so we put the boat in and paddled on out.

i don't recall my dad using live bait much so we started with our mepps #0 lures. just as the lure hit the water bam they hit it and soon we were surounded by bass. i mean the water was churning and flashing with silver and black 1/2 lb bass they were everywhere jumping and banging into the boat.

all we had to do touch the water with our mepps, and we had a 1/2 lb bass. we filled 2 burlap bags full in no time and decided to quit and go back to shore and fliet them. as we got done with a fish we through the carcass back into the water. there they were again the bass jumping and boiling the water eating every carcass we through in.

we had finished 1 bag when i looked up and saw 5 san blas indians with their bows and fishing arrows. my dad said don't worry i don't think they are head hunters so he waved, and motioned them over.

i don't know what he said but they started laughing. they started pointing at the fish and my dad made a cast and of course caught a fish right away. when we left with all our cleaned fish we had 2 bows with fishing arrows and one less pole mine of course. he gave them the pole and 5 #0 mepps lures he showed them how to tie them on the black line, and then we left.

on the way back he said that he could understand some of their broken spanish, and he asked what is this place. the best he could come close to was goofey lake. we found our way back to a main road just as it was getting dark and got back to the fort around 11:30 pm.

i never got back to goofy lake but my dad at 87 still has the bows and arrows on his wall down in fla. over the years we talked of goffey lake, and why the bass were so small and hungry. our best guess was there was no jungle around this lake and insects were few and far between so the bass were stunted, and hungery.

this was just one of many fishing trips my dad and i went on over the many years, and the many countries we lived in. i remember it like it was only yesterday, along with the many adventures we went on together.

Old 07-24-03, 04:18 AM
Now that's a cool story.

Old 07-24-03, 09:41 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
GREAT Story!!puts the mind a waundering!

Old 07-24-03, 02:06 PM
SB
that is cool, but if i saw native indians standing there with bows in hand, i probably would have pee-peed myself!!!

i bet those bass started by some birds dropping eggs or fry in the lake from another lake and i bet they ate their own...the big fish would die from lack of food...just a guess

cool story..MOREMOREMORE!!

Old 07-25-03, 09:39 AM
Smile How did they get there?

SB said: i bet those bass started by some birds dropping eggs or fry in the lake from another lake and i bet they ate their own...the big fish would die from lack of food...just a guess

I think you hit the nail right on the head SB I sure don't think the Indians stocked them LOL.

Last edited by marturo; 07-25-03 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 03:11 PM
Rosa
Visiting Guest
Marturo, I think these stories you have shared with us are wonderful. My father used to take me fishing, and some of my fondest memories of him are when we took the canoe out as well as when we went rabbit and squirrel hunting in Ohio.

I sure hope that others will post some of their fishing and hunting stories as well. It's great to vicariously live some of the adventures we all have had, even if some of the fish may get a tad "bigger" than they may actually have been. LOL

Also, I've never been hunting for Green Headed Ducks before, but I've always enjoyed reading how eager one looks forward to the season.

Thanks again,
Rosa

Old 07-28-03, 09:25 PM
T
Bass

Great story, marturo. I once went fishing in a farmer's large pond in Nebraska. He told me the pond was never stocked. That birds brought the fish there. This pond, of course, was surrounded by about 600 acres of wheat and milo. We caught quite a few bass in no time and took them home to fry for supper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: