Deer processing:cuts

Old 03-27-05, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deer processing:cuts

Okay, NOT a hunter (anymore). Never hunted deer and was wondering what "cuts" of meat you get when you have a deer processed. Meaning, I know what cuts you get from a cow or pig. Do you get just steaks, roasts, and ground for sausage? Anything else? Had to ask as I have NO idea. Thanks.

Old 03-27-05, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Majak,

I personally cut my own by just cutting the most tender portions and grinding the rest.
A deer is a fairly lean animal and there is not a lot of meat on it relative to its size.

Here is how the pros do it:

Image credit: chefdepot.net

Old 03-27-05, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply and the picture. Now I have a better idea of what can be gotten should I decide to hunt one, or hit one. Will aim for the least useable area LOL.

Old 03-28-05, 04:48 PM
The target should be right behind the front leg. Hitting here will hopefully result in a heart or lung shot, and maybe only damage up a couple of ribs.(as far as meat loss goes.)

We process our own as well, and we've done mainly t-bones, roast, ground, cutlets and jerky peices. Honestly, last year was the first year we did ground and I can say that from now on, half, at least will be ground in future years. Its just such a versitile style, you can use ground so many ways. As far as on the b-b-q goes, you cant beat a good t-bone. Betcha can't eat just one.

We get a butcher to cut our t-bones, as we bring him the whole back piece. We usually get either 3/4" or 1" cuts. Man, we have to get a bandsaw.

All this talk about venison and I gotta wait 6 months still to bag another one.

Jay

Old 03-29-05, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Good advice from Jay on placing the shot.

If you have the opportunity to hit one, try to place your front bumper just in front of his legs so he runs into you.

Old 04-01-05, 08:35 PM

I had the chance to drive into a nice 8 pointer last year. About Mid Dec. I sat in my tree stand till legal time, only to see nothing yet again. I got down and went back to my truck. I was picking up a friend at work that night - he was only about 1/2 km down the road. As I pulled onto the highway I didn't drive 100 yards and this son-of-a-#$%& ran right out in front of me. Man, it was a judgement call wether to hit the brakes or the gas. Needless to say, I didn't put any meat in the freezer that night.

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: