How to cool a deer cooler??

Old 01-29-06, 11:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to cool a deer cooler??

Put together a good cooler with second hand wall panels and a door from an old commercial freezer. Now how to get it cool? Power is limited to 115VAC so I put a room A/C unit in the wall but the thermostat will only let it get down to 60 deg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-06, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
The wall panels are the easy part.

There is no way around having to use the correct commercial refrigeration components meant for a walk in cooler.
Even if you were to get the correct thermostat for the a/c it would not be capable of getting much below what the ac would cool a room.

If you do a search you should be able to locate a maker of a cold pack that is fully self contained and will mount on an opening in either the roof panel or wall.

Depending on the refrigeration components the largest capacity unit available in 115 volt @ 12 amps would be about a 1/2 to 3/4 hp unit.
This unit would have enough capacity to cool down one deer in a maximum of around a 6' x 6' x 7' high cooler with average insulation.

Old 05-17-06, 12:24 PM
P
I ran across an old Pepsi sliding door cooler for $75.00. After taking the shelves out, it will hang three deer at one time, keeping a pretty constant temperture. This didn't answer your question, just food for thought.

Old 05-17-06, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Sliding door cooler and three deer???
Maybe if it has 8 doors!

Are you saying you DO cool three deer in a reach-in cooler or you have bought a cooler and WILL cool three deer.
The mathematics do not allow this to work but I MIGHT have been wrong once before.

Old 05-23-06, 08:39 AM
S
You could get 3 deer in a double door pop cooler. Cut the head and legs off, why not? Thats a great idea, I only hunt in the late fall so I've only had a couple of times when the temp was a issue. We just bought some bagged ice and stuck it inside the body cavity and then cover them with a canvas tarp. Worked good until we processed then.

Old 10-02-06, 12:58 PM
R
move the thurmostat to the outsdide of the building.

Old 12-20-07, 02:53 PM
N
You can try taking an old fridge/freezer & cutting the entire front & sides off of it, leaving just the back & workings of it. Since you already have the walls up just cut a hole the side of the cut down fridge/freezer,slide it in & anchor it so it doesn't move, use Great Stuff to fill any gaps from cutting. Can also be used to make a keg cooler or small walkin cooler. For those that don't have the panels already, just build a simple 2x6 box with corner bracing to keep square,the only studs used should be 2x4 only where the fridge/freezer mounts.Cover one side with FRP panels,thin ply,paneling or whatever you want, lay with the paneling down & fill with 2 part foam, let cure & you have an insulated panel. If you have an underground basement, pick a corner & you only have to make 2 panels. Doors are made the same way, just trim the inside so you can put a large seal on it. You can make a very good sized walk-in cooler for cheap, the FRP panels will work well for game since they clean very easily.Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: