surf baitcast fishing ideas?

Old 06-17-07, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question surf baitcast fishing ideas?

Greetings. I love to surf fish, and do not have a boat. I have a 10' sprinning rod and reel, but am interested in trading up to a baitcasting set that can cast farther out. Looking for recommendation on both baitcasting surf rods and reels (but especially reels) that can accomplish that. Am looking for the right set that is perfect for surf fishing, is not overkill (i.e. suitable for deep-sea from a boat), but sturdy enough, and will result in farther casts than my current spinning reel set. Any suggestions? Thanks, folks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 07:06 PM
I fish Hatteras every fall.
I leave my baitcasters at home. Nothing but a pain, especially if you get a bird's nest. I've even tried an alvey reel, it's ok but not great.

An Okuma 45 or 55 series is a good spin reel for surf with a 10 or 11 ft rod.

And, btw, fishermen don't trade up, they simply buy another rod/reel.

fred

Old 06-23-07, 05:16 AM
I'm like Fewalt. I have a Penn surf pole with a Penn baitcaster and I guess it just takes tons of practice to get them out there withut tangling. I can cast it out maybe 20 yards with no problem but that's about it. I use it for trolling now and it's great for that. I've got two spinners with surf poles I use for casting and can really get them out there.

Old 08-21-07, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Love a conventional

Most of my reels are conventionals. One of my favorites is an old Penn Beachmaster 155M. I use it on the surf & from the boat. Eighty to a hundred yards is not a problem ONCE YOU LEARN TO USE IT. Many of the newer reels have some kind of braking system to help prevent backlashes. If you can find an old Penn Squidder & are willing to put up with having to practice, grab it.

Old 09-13-07, 06:44 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
rod duplication

Originally Posted by tc1965 View Post
Greetings. I love to surf fish, and do not have a boat. I have a 10' sprinning rod and reel, but am interested in trading up to a baitcasting set that can cast farther out. Looking for recommendation on both baitcasting surf rods and reels (but especially reels) that can accomplish that. Am looking for the right set that is perfect for surf fishing, is not overkill (i.e. suitable for deep-sea from a boat), but sturdy enough, and will result in farther casts than my current spinning reel set. Any suggestions? Thanks, folks.

I wouldn't try to get a single rod to handle both the surf and the deep sea fishing. As far as is known it wont work,,not even close. I would suggest buying separate rods and reels. Sometimes yard sales are good for old deep sea rods. good luck.

Old 10-20-07, 10:58 AM
E
depends on what your throwing

If your fishing the point at hatteras you need to throw 8oz of lead plus your bait, somedays more. (thats a tall order) For other parts of the country you may never need to throw that much lead. FWIW most all the dedicated point fisherman in that area use conventionals (for more distance). A good heavy setup for that purpose would be a diawa slosh 20 or 30(has changable brake blocks as you get better) and an om cps. A penn 525 (has an adjustable brake) is a good casting conventional but doesnt seat firmly on the above mentioned rod. The ocean master "cape point special" 12'heavy (rated 6-12 oz if i remember right) is available at bass pro shops on sale right now for 89.99 (usually 149.99). The Diawa sl(20or30)sha can be had for for around a hundred bucks online from randybaitshack.com the 20 would prolly be easier for you get the hang of throwing. Look at randys other conventional combos to get a feel for what other good matched sets are out there. BTW you are dead on lookin to switch to conventionals for more distance, all the tournament distance casters use them. The abu "rockets" are highly recommended for distance as well but they are trickier to learn than the other reels i mentioned. BTW if your gonna throw that kinda weight around (and throw it hard and proper) you need to learn about shock leaders, shock knots, and the correct way to put it all together for safetys sake) Pierandsurf.com is a good forum to learn these things to be safe while your out there, if you drop by there msg me with any more questions my handle is WNCrick

But the rod choice mainly boils down to the amount of weight you plan on throwing with it.

Hope that helps
Rick

Woopz
just saw how old the post was......well might help someone else