Fish Identification - Potomac River

Old 09-21-08, 07:29 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fish Identification - Potomac River

I was fishing in the Potomac river, offshore spinning and caught a fish species I've never seen in that area before. Wish I had my camera at the time, but it had a few spots on it, near the tail (if I remember correctly), and it had a blue tail. It was lighter in color, and not an obvious pointy head. It definitely was not a bluefish or rock fish (I've caught these before). It also wasn't a spotted trout - it wasn't brown and didn't have a ton of spots.

I've looked at a chart of common fish in the potomac, but I didn't see it. Unless the juvenile ones look a lot different from the adult.

Thanks.

Old 09-21-08, 08:51 PM
Try looking at a snake head fish. These fish are in the water in you part of the world. If this is the fish you caught, call the fish and game as soon as you can.

Here is a link.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/snakehead.shtm

Travis

Old 09-22-08, 05:17 AM
A
Originally Posted by waterwelldude View Post
Try looking at a snake head fish. These fish are in the water in you part of the world. If this is the fish you caught, call the fish and game as soon as you can.

Here is a link.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/snakehead.shtm

Travis
I've heard of these, but luckily that's not it.

I'm fishing near Coles Point in the Potomac, which is saltier than farther upstream near DC. I'm sure it's a common fish, nothing rare like this, I've just never seen one before in this area.

Old 09-26-08, 06:46 AM
spots on near anal fin?
cud of been a puppy drum

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: