Rifle season in MI

Old 11-13-09, 08:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rifle season in MI

Rifle deer hunting opens in MI on sunday--wish I was going.....
All my hunting buddies are passed on.
It's safer for me on the couch...........
Have a great season..............................Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Old 11-14-09, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My property adjoins National Forest Lands here in the mountains, but my knees tell me I'd better not chance it. I salivate this time of year, too. I even put my TreeLounger up for sale earlier in the year. Nice stand. We have a Wild Game Supper at church in March, and we look for donations, but I can't help except to cook it.

Old 12-13-09, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Smile Not too much hunting chit-chat this year.

Fortunately my knees are still ok and was able to go out in the late season and get a small doe.

After every hunting season I tell myself that next year I am going to spend time at the range to gain confidence on longer shots and also spend more time pre-season scouting.
And, every year I barely make the late season!

This year I ground up much of the meat and was thinking about trying a jerky press I picked up at a flea market.
Anyone used one of these and have any tips?

Was also thinking about replacing my old Parker Hale in a 303 British caliber which is quite similar to a 308 with a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag.
Any thoughts on the jump between the '06 and a magnum caliber.
My thoughts on the slightly lighter '06 was that because I don't reload you can often get this ammo on sale which would allow me more practice at the range.

Old 12-13-09, 06:12 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Greg, I always thought the 7mm was an overkill for white tails, but my nephew uses one and it sure is nice to pick up the deer right where he shoots it. I've moved up to a 270, but used a 30-30 for many years and had to be good at tracking to take everything I shot home. Lost a few and felt really bad. So big guns do help a lot when there is no snow to track, or daylight. Coyotes take anything left overnight.

Bud

Old 12-13-09, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
A 270 is a very nice caliber for deer.

Out to 300 yards there is very little difference between the calibers mentioned.
On one calculator for the same bullet style and weight when sighted in at 200 yds......... at 300 yds the 270 would be about 8" low, the 7mm 7" low and the 30-06 8.3 inches low.

At 400 yds.........the 270 is 24" low, the 7mm is 19" low and the 30-06 is 25" low.

Just for fun the 30-30 sighted in at 200 would be 3" high at 100 yds, 15 " low at 300 and 49" low at 400.
A problem with the 30-30 is it that it even if you compensated for bullet drop it travels quite a bit slower and has less impact.

Here is a pretty good ballistics calculator that would take care of a couple of snow bound evenings if you were so inclined.
Might have to install Microsoft Silverlite which is like Java to make the calculator work.

Old 12-13-09, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Not a real hunter...but I sure like gun discussions...lol. I have heard it said and written by many many people, that if you want one gun for N American hunting...make it a .30-06. Between the sub-caliber sabot rounds, reduced recoil ammo, heavy weight bullets and the higher pressure and velocity rounds...you pretty much have it all.

I'm sure the same applies to the 7mm to some extent..but not to the same degree I'd wager.

Not to mention the sales on ammo as was pointed out.

Old 12-13-09, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 286 Posts
I use a .30-06 in an open area and .30-30 in the woods. Spending time at the range is time well spent. I don't do it so I can take longer shots, I do it to make sure my equipment is working properly, and improve my shooting technique. This year I did not get a chance to recheck my scoped rifle but was very happy when I shot a deer and the impact was exactly where I aimed.

I love hunting and shooting and sometimes I can combine the two. Got a deer and so far 3 geese. Still a week left in the gooses season.

Old 12-13-09, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I bet TI is using a 30-30 mostly because the weapon is handier and theres no need for long shots...am I right?

Old 12-13-09, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TI -

You might be able to make a few bucks (pun!) by hiring out to some of the local municipalities to get rid of the pests. some want hunters that can use both bows and rifles. Not all communities advertise, because the idea of too many deer can reduce the property values.

My neighbor scares the excess deer away with an air rifle illegally. Lots of geese and turkeys in my backyard daily. The turkeys show up at 10:30 AM and about 2:30 PM, but the geese are a little looser or don't carry watches.

Dick

Old 12-13-09, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 286 Posts
@ Gunguy - Actuality I have not shot a deer with my 30-30 yet because I have only have had it for 2 seasons. I had to do some repairs to it after receiving it from my father in law. Over the past 8 years me and my Dad have shot deer out of one stand. The stand is along a 60 yard wide "shooting lane" which is really a high power line run. Not that I have not had the opportunity to shoot out of another stand, I'm just picky. I did use the 30-30 while tracking a gut shot deer for my Dad and did REALLY like the lightness and handling of the 30-30.

@ Concretemasonry - That is an interesting thought. I heard about Inver Grove allowing goose hunters to hunt in the city but I don't know anybody that has land there. Plus it is on the other side of the big city from me. I gave up bow hunting this year and traded a guy for his goose blind. I have more fun trying to get the sky carp to come in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: