Hunting Guide Tip Amount?

Old 04-04-12, 05:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 909 Votes on 837 Posts
Hunting Guide Tip Amount?

How much do you tip a hunting guide?

For the first time in my life I am paying to hunt in a few weeks and I have no idea how much is proper to tip the guide. Does the tip amount vary with the success of the hunt?

Old 04-05-12, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If it was like my first and last guided hunt, I paid enough that he should have tipped me I should think a successful hunt would garner some remuneration above the cost of the hunt, but I would think a paid meal voucher at a nice restaurant in his home town would be good.
Where ya goin' !!!! Whatcha huntin'??

Old 04-05-12, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I've never done it...but a friend back in VA used to travel to AZ, AK, and WY for hunts. He would spend $2K (or more) for the hunt plus travel and some lodging for 4-5 days.

He told me that he would tip the helpers/staff and the hunt guide, if they were an employee (not the owner) or if it was a one man op, a certain amount ....if he got the owner he would normally send a gift of some sort based on how he related to the person.

I could ask around here but it might be a few days before I get an answer. Have you done a "How much to tip a hunting guide" search? Or maybe emailed one of the gun mag editors?

Old 04-05-12, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a fishing guide that grew for the past 40 years in an isolated lodge in Canada and went to town once a year by snowmobile to pick up necessary personal supplies. The top of his list was about 20 cans of spam to have a treat since trout, walleye, deer and moose were getting tiring.

We (2 of us) caught a 26# Lake Trout, a 22# Northern Pike and a 42# Lake Trout (mine). I was going to give him a cash tip, but he refused, but asked for photos (12 copies of each) of the trip since that would be better for him.

Dick

Old 04-05-12, 04:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
I'm going hog/boar hunting. There are no hog in my area and it's my first time hunting them so I thought a little guidance might be better than driving for hours to tromp through a strange forest without a clue. I'll be taking the .308 from this thread.

Old 04-05-12, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A .308 is very versatile. I had a lever action lightweight - Savage 99 featherweight (short and light) that I used for deer (165-175 gm) and a friend borrowed it for elk and shot a 220 gm and (added a 2x7 scope) and was very successful. Just pick the right brass and load for the target and locals can zero you in.

Dick

Old 04-06-12, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
C'mon down, we have them tearing up lawns all over the place. Looks like someone laid in with a disk harrow. We don't need long guns too much. Underbrush like mountain laurels are in the way. .44 mag or 500 is usually sufficient.

Old 04-06-12, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
I'm going to going light on bullets with 150 grain Barnes TSX. Since I started using their copper bullets last year I don't feel the need for heavier bullets but this will be my first test on a bigger, tougher animal with them. I wanted to use a copper bullet to avoid getting any lead into the meat but another benefit I've found is that cheap Silver Bear 145 grain FMJ shoot identically so practicing is pretty inexpensive.

Sometime when I'm feeling rich I want to do a side-by-side test of different brand copper bullets. I've heard people are having good results with the Hornady GMX but how much they expand seems to depend heavily on velocity so I assume the other alloy bullets are similar. Every Barnes I've shot has expanded to twice the bullet diameter and if they hit something hard they just get shorter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: