Gator Hunting

Old 02-02-14, 06:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 909 Votes on 837 Posts
Gator Hunting

I just finished up my first gator hunt. I used a crossbow from a air boat at night. Since you can only see their eyes at distance we had to get close to determine size & shot placement. I used a rifle for longer shots across the swamp. Neither one took a step after being hit . The largest I got (trophy/bag fees vary by size) was 8' 6 1/2" long. The 1/2" is important since we were all making size guesses and one of the guides guessed 8'7" and won. I'm having the hide from that one tanned. Maybe I'll make a purse for wifey some day.

---
Please, if you ever take a little .223/5.56 hunting. Don't use FMJ ammunition! Especially on tough hogs at night when you can't place your shots properly. One dude wounded three hogs, I assume spraying and praying, before realizing that poking tiny, clean, poorly placed holes does not work. Small caliber black rifles are popular but you have to good to instantly turn an animal off so they don't disappear into the swamp.

Old 02-02-14, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
Sounds like fun! Did you get to bring some Gator meat home? Had some the other day on pizza and I thought it was quite tasty!

---
I would never suggest to use FMJ ammo on anything other than paper or human targets (See Geneva Conventions) Sure the ammo is cheap but it does not expand, as you pointed out. Even with prairie dogs I used soft point ammo.

Old 02-02-14, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm surprised the guides even let him use FMJ. Seems unprofessional to me. Esp with all the choices in purpose designed bullets out there.

Old 02-02-14, 01:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
I'm not exactly sure which are considered worse; hogs, rats or mosquitos. The alligator guide said they could only get alligator hunting rights to some tracts if they also agreed to send in hog hunters as well. It seems hog hunters are the only ones that like them. Everyone else just wants them gone for all the damage they do. Still, I don't like what I think is irresponsible hunting. Rat, mosquito or hog you kill is as quickly as possible. You don't wound it and let it run off to die slowly.

Old 02-02-14, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
Still, I don't like what I think is irresponsible hunting. Rat, mosquito or hog you kill is as quickly as possible. You don't wound it and let it run off to die slowly
I Agree 1000%

Old 02-03-14, 03:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I'm all for the humane and expedient killing of the animal you are hunting but if it was feasible I think I could condone a slow death and torture of mosquitoes

Old 02-03-14, 10:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
I almost forgot. Without a photo it didn't happen...

It's a big graphic so if you are not accustomed to seeing animals after being shot do not click on the link. The 35 Whelen is pretty decisive and hogs also appear about the same. I'm most often hunting in swamps where I don't want the animal to even take a step so I generally take head shots. http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9e7aea09.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: