Bass

Old 05-10-14, 08:39 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bass

I loose more Bass on my line then i catch. I use rubber worms with the appropriate new hook so its sharp. I usually am able to get the fish in part way before loosing it and many times they jump which usually ends with a fish gone once they hit the water. Once the fish hits I try to set the hook by a sharp snap of the rod. caught 4 the other day and lost 6. some where just feet away from shore. I feel like I must be doing something wrong cause when i watch the pro's on TV they seem to never loose a fish. Anyone have advice on improving my luck

Old 05-10-14, 08:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Once you set the hook, your line absolutely cannot go lax. Even if it means you crank as fast as you can. What kind of reel are you using? What is its retrieval ratio? You can also "walk" the fish around the stern of the boat to keep the line taut. Using a net to get them in the boat is almost a necessity.

Old 05-10-14, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
when i watch the pro's on TV they seem to never loose a fish
That's also the magic of TV.

Old 05-10-14, 10:49 AM
Unless you have been in the boat with them, you'll never know. Note the shadow lines between catches. Sometimes hours elapse. Hey, like the old saying....a bad day fishin' is better than a good day at work.

Old 05-10-14, 11:12 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I certainly can't keep up with the southern bass pros, but I did pick up a trick I have had a lot of fun with. I was doing far worse than you. What I thought I was doing wrong was setting the hook far too quickly, so I said, next fish I'm just going to play with him. When one grabbed the worm I opened the bail and feathered the line between my fingers. Now, maybe it was just my imagination, but he felt like a dog with a toy. He would run a little, shake the line, then run some more. After half a minute or so I flipped the bail and set the hook and caught him.

My guess is I'm now giving them time to actually get the rubber worm deep enough into their mouth that when I set the hook it it catches better. To be fair, this is actually the way they catch fish through the ice with real bait of course. Old timer told me they grab the bait and make a run, but you have to be patient to wait until they get it part way down.

Let me know if this improves your luck. You can even tug on the line with your fingers to feel them react.

Bud

Old 05-10-14, 07:59 PM
The method I used when I used to fish for bass was a lot like Bud9051's. I kept my rod tip high when retrieving the worm so that as soon as I felt a bite I could lower the rod, and open the bail. Then I would wait a couple of minutes. Then I would start slowly reeling in with the rod low to the water. As soon as I felt the fish I would yank hard. I rarely lost a fish this way; although sometimes the fish wasn't there after the wait. And, I almost always had to cut the line because the fish swallowed the worm.

Old 08-02-14, 04:53 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I fished dozens of bass club tournaments, a half dozen BASS events and both Redman and NABA tours. I disagree with the " the let them have it" method. When the fish hits - remove any line slack and set the hook.

The key is not to let the fish jump. With a plastic bait (worms, lizards, tube lures and grubs)set the hook - harder than with other baits, then watch your line. If it looks like the fish is going to break the surface don't allow it. That might mean sticking your rod tip in the water.

Old 08-02-14, 04:58 PM
Circle hooks might fit your style of fishing and retrieving.

Dick

Old 08-02-14, 05:41 PM
We are having the BASS college "world series" of fishing at our local lake, sponsored by the college this week. Seeing the younger set having that much fun is simply great. Lotta boats and pickups.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: