Bird control

Old 01-11-04, 10:53 AM
H20Fall
Visiting Guest
Question Bird control

What's the best way to keep pigeons from hanging out in the open eves, leaving their waste everywhere. There was a BB rifle left in the house when I moved in, so I know what the former owner did - but I'm not as good a shot and would rather not kill them if possible.

Old 01-12-04, 06:04 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
look up a product called roost no more. i hear it works. also try posting on dirtdoctor.com for organic type products. howard garrett is a little hard core organic, but he has some pretty good ideas sometimes.

Old 01-13-04, 01:39 PM
T
Pigeon control

Exclusion is the most effective method of pigeon control. Use bird netting or mesh to deter pigeons from roosting in eaves and other areas. On flat surfaces, commercial products that make it uncomfortable for their feet are reported to be effective. There are also granules which produces an odor that makes it unpleasant for the birds to hang around. Use of phony predators, audio, chemical, and/or tactile repellents, etc., are reported to be generally not effective.

Examine areas around the home and take appropriate measures:

Store edible garbage in covered containers. Spray, prune, or eliminate fruit, berry, or seed bearing plants such as Olive, Sumac, and Mulberry trees, pyracantha bushes, etc., to prevent them from producing food for the birds. Avoid feeding the birds because feeders will attract pigeons, too.

Old 01-22-04, 06:26 PM
P
A trusty 12gauge works nicely.
Just a little messy, and noisey.

Old 01-27-04, 12:10 PM
T
Pigeons

In rural areas, shooting is often an effective method of eliminating pigeons. Because most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms within the city limits and within residential areas, this method is not recommended. Roost elimination, trapping, chemical controls, and elimination of food sources are recommended.

Old 03-17-10, 11:11 AM
K
Old 04-23-10, 04:21 PM
C
Roosting Pigeons

I found an extremely cheap and effective way to deter pigeons from rafters in my shed. I simply put a bead of regular gear grease on the rafters with a grease gun. Once they step in it they are gone and never come back - and they seem to tell everybody in the flock about it. Did it two years ago after pigeon droppings ruined a paint job on the pickup. I haven't seen a pigeon since but my neighbor still does.

Old 07-07-10, 07:18 PM
A
Have you ever seen a baby pigeon?

I'm sure they exist, but cayenne pepper will keep those varmints away for years. We tried everything to get rid of them, finally sprinkled pepper up in the rafters and haven't seen a pigeon in 2 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: