Fox Problem

Old 06-25-06, 09:07 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fox Problem

I have a couple of foxes that come onto my property located at Falmouth, Massachusetts. They don't really bother us too much, but they get very close to people and like to sun themselves on our front porch. There have been a number of local stories recently where a fox has attacked a little child. I have a lot of nieces, nephews and other vistors with little children that are afraid to come over due to the foxes. My neighbor said to use fox urine, but when I read the label on fox urine it says it gets rid of rabbits, rats and other animals that are afraid of foxes, but not foxes themselves. I'd like to find a way to get rid of them. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Pesky

Old 06-26-06, 11:28 AM
D
I believe the only way to get rid of them is to trap them and removing them. I've read there are sprays and ultrasonic sound emitters and that they do not work. I would find a professional trapper in your area to trap them and remove them.

Old 06-26-06, 05:06 PM
T
Contact your local animal control people. Foxes also can be rabid.

Old 06-27-06, 08:00 AM
R
whatever you do don't shoot them...........

Old 06-27-06, 10:50 PM
N
Hi Pesky,

It concerns me that they don't seem to be afraid of humans. Are there any food sources such as bird feeders or pet food left around the property? That might be attracting them. Also if you happen to have small rodents they will hunt for them there. The best way to keep them off your property is with fencing, but that might not be possible for you.

From this State of Mass site with lots of information about foxes and what you can do:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_foxes.htm

Foxes are an important natural resource in Massachusetts. They are classified as a furbearer species, for which an established regulated hunting season and management program exists. If you are experiencing problems with, or have questions regarding foxes, contact the nearest MassWildlife District office.
Here's the link.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwdistr.htm

If they recommend trapping I would suggest you use a humane live trap and NOT a leghold trap. Leghold traps are outlawed in many areas for good reason.

Btw, they do recommend water to scare them away. You might want to consider one of those motion activated sprinklers aka scarecrow sprinkler, for when they come near the property or on the porch. A few squirts and they will probably find someplace else to snooze.
http://www.arcatapet.com/image/scarcrw4.jpg

Newt

Old 06-28-06, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN
whatever you do don't shoot them...........

Now in this instance either get them profesionally removed or if your laws allow and you don't mind doing it shoot them. If you don't want to there are many hunters that will do it for free.

Old 06-28-06, 10:30 AM
N
I would only recommend shooting as a last resort. There may be ordinances where you live prohibiting the discharge of firearms. In some areas you need a hunting license and it can only be done at certain times. Do read the links I supplied for more help. They are specifically for your area.

Foxes are predators and eat rodents. They can be handy to have around, just not on your porch!

Newt

Old 06-30-06, 07:01 AM
R
If the fox is on your front porch then there is something wrong with it (rabid) or it was a pet at one point. They are hard enough to see in the woods. Shot it get a high powered pellet gun if you live in the city and use the 3 s method. Shoot shovel and shut up.

Old 07-22-06, 05:51 PM
P
we have a fox that suns himself/herself on our gravel driveway.. it's not afraid of humans from 20/15' away... u can talk to it.. it listens ..almost like a dog...pretty cool

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: