Skunk under my shed

Old 10-24-06, 01:48 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Skunk under my shed

I have a 5 inch gap between my shed and a brick wall, that a skunk uses to get under my shed. I initially thought the hole was too small but last night i saw him crawl through. I cut out a wood cover to cap the hole. So tonight I will go back and plug the hole. What can I do to make sure he/she is out.

Also, I know it's not very humane but how big of a bullet would be required to kill the skunk. I can't have them around because I have children in the backyard. Would a bb gun work from short range?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-06, 02:27 PM
Skunk under my shed

Even with Arnold as Governor, I don't think they would allow gun shooting in Huntington Beach.

Check with the Animal Control. They don't want those critters around any more than you and they usually have cages they will let you use and them pick them up when used. Is a lot easier than driving the skunk south to the beach.

Dick

Old 10-24-06, 02:39 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
I think I'd opt for calling animal control as well. Skunks can get a little nasty sometimes.

Old 10-24-06, 07:13 PM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i would probably go with a live trap if at all possible although is also risky, creatures liek these and coons and possums and such are not friendly for sure yeah hehe

i get coons in my attic now and then, they are easy to get rid of compared to other critters, you could also try to keep it away with a portable radio on a station that plays alot of human voices, and some light source too, such works with coons i know

good luck

Old 10-24-06, 08:09 PM
N
You might want to encourage it to move somewhere else that is more acceptable. Try these ideas.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/articles/misc/skunkmng.html
http://www.ghorganics.com/page6.html#RACCOONS%20AND%20SKUNKS

A bb gun would not work and might make the skunk aggressive. I have rescued dogs and cats that have been shot with them and they only maime the animal and cause great harm to them.

Newt

Old 10-27-06, 07:57 PM
W
WGW
I've used live traps for both racoons and skunks.
To avoid getting sprayed by the skunk once I caught it, I walked up to the trap with a blanket held up between me and the skunk. Then covered the trap with it. Took it for a 5 mile ride and released. It was too busy running to spray once the door was opened.

If you're not game on trapping it, you might look for a product I've used with some success in keeping ground hogs away. Goes by the name of "critter ridder" and is found in big box stores. It is sprinkled on the ground and works well as a repellant.

Old 10-27-06, 08:23 PM
T
Many have posted that they have had success putting ammonia-soaked rags under sheds to drive out skunks. Others report success with putting lights under sheds and radios under sheds.

Exclusion is the best control. Sealing entry should not be done until it is assured that there are no more skunks under the shed, especially young.

Some areas have restrictions against trapping and relocating. Check with local animal control and wildlife agencies.

Old 01-22-07, 07:49 AM
B
Although it may not be recommended, I thought I'd answer your question. A .22 caliber is about the smallest caliber firearm that would safely kill a rodent of that size. The sound a .22 caliber produces sounds more simillar to a loud firecracker, as opposed to a booming gunshot as from a shotgun/higher caliber rifle/handgun. It would no doubt probably wake up a few neighers if discharged at night in a residential area.

However, it sounds like you are not very famillar with firearms, so I wouldn't recommend going out and buying one just for this purpose without taking the proper training classes, etc. Also check laws about discharging firearms in your area.

Old 02-15-07, 10:48 AM
O
Throw a handful of mothballs or camphor flakes under the shed and seal the hole.

If you are going to shoot the animal use a .22
Aquilla makes rounds that have no powder except for the primer, the noise is so negligible your neighbors would probably not hear it.

Old 02-15-07, 12:55 PM
O
Originally Posted by lbphathead19 View Post
I have a 5 inch gap between my shed and a brick wall, that a skunk uses to get under my shed. I initially thought the hole was too small but last night i saw him crawl through. I cut out a wood cover to cap the hole. So tonight I will go back and plug the hole. What can I do to make sure he/she is out.

Also, I know it's not very humane but how big of a bullet would be required to kill the skunk. I can't have them around because I have children in the backyard. Would a bb gun work from short range?
Try mothballs

Old 06-10-09, 06:24 AM
C
Skunk spray on dogs

Read Massengil douche is effective for removing skunk spray odor from dogs - any particular kind? Vinegar?

Old 06-24-09, 09:27 PM
N
From this site with lots of helpful info on removing skunk smell:
http://unexco.com/pub/hints.html

The formula for use on pets and clothing is as follows: one quart of 3 % hydrogen peroxide (from drugstore), a half cup of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and one teaspoon liquid (dish) soap. After bathing it in this mixture, rinse pet or clothing with plain tap water.
Newt

Old 09-29-09, 11:12 AM
R
Try Hair

For skunks, try spreading Human Hair....this has worked effectively for ridding skunks under my shed