cat urine

Old 03-03-07, 12:45 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cat urine

My house has a beautiful wrap around porch. The neighborhood cats think so also. Ever since we purchased the house two years ago, there has been a horrible cat urine smell coming form the porch. My husband went under there last year and took out layers of soil, but now that it is getting warm outside, the smell is coming back. Any ideas on how to get rid of cat urine smells outside the home?

Old 03-03-07, 04:22 PM
N
Hi Nerak,

This formula can be used for skunk odor and cat urnine. In your case you will need to spray it on the soil.
http://unexco.com/pub/hints.html

Newt

Old 03-03-07, 05:07 PM
T
You can also cover the soil with lime to promote decomposition for odor causing bacteria. Seal off all entries to prevent cats from entering beneath the porch.

Old 03-13-07, 08:24 AM
S
male cat spraying

I'm trying to presuade a neighbors (not sure but don't care anymore) cat from spraying on my construction site-renovating a house, and it seems this cat has taken to one of the covered but not sealed completely areas-I've even seen the cat on my roof above this area(low roof of porch) can anyone suggest how to move unwanted cats along? I have two barn cats that might be in this cats harem, and they do a great job at keeping the mice/chipmunks and even squirrels at bay, so I won't get rid of our cats but I've had enough already with this unwanted cat-any, I do mean any suggestions would be appreciated-thanks

Old 03-14-07, 02:09 PM
N
Hi Sammy,

You said, "I have two barn cats that might be in this cats harem...".

I'm thinking that this cat is intact. If your cats are females and not spayed, the best solution would be to have yours spayed. If yours are spayed, I would suggest you talk to the owner about either keeping his cat indoors or having him neutered. I doubt you will get them to keep the cat indoors, but maybe neutering would be a solution to keep him safe, healthier and stop his spraying.

Another solution would be to keep a water spray handy to get him to move along. If your cats are intact that will not persuade him to stay away for long.

Newt

Old 03-21-07, 07:37 AM
S
barn cats are "fixed"

Our cats have been spayed (mother & daughter cats but now both are spayed) and none of the neighbors knows where this other cat is coming from. Just two nights ago I came across the strong scent of a skunk in the same location the cat smell has been in the past. I checked our two cats and they were scent free so I'm assuming & hoping the male cat ran into the skunk.

I'm tempted to buy a plastic deer fence and close off the area but not sure if that would work either-I wouldn't mind removing the cat totally if no one claims him, even drop him off to a cat shelter or pet smart adoption if I could catch him-any ideas??? thanks

Old 03-21-07, 10:53 AM
L
Have-A-Hart traps are very good and most small town animal control offices will loan you one....they also, usually, come and pick up the critter afterwards. I bought mine from SS for about $50.

Old 03-21-07, 09:00 PM
N
Sammy, lhewitt's suggestion of a live trap is a good one to catch the male. I prefer the Tomahawk brand, but NOT their collapsable one. You can donate it to a rescue group when your're done if you like.
http://www.livetrap.com/cgi/search.c...option=1&0=606

You will have to keep your barn cats indoors that night so you don't trap them. I've found the best way to bait the trap is to use a canned cat food with tuna. The smellier the better. Do the ET trick from the movie and put a bit outside the trap, a bit just inside the trap and so on with about 4 or 5 bits of food leading to the can, which is placed behind the foot lever. Don't use too much as he might be a smartie and not go for the can. Try and put the trap partially under a shrub and not out in the open if you aren't going to watch it all night. Have a large towel handy to cover the trap once you have him so he doesn't freak out during transport. Put an old shower curtain or heavy duty trash bag under the trap with an old towel on top of that when you transport. Many feral cats will go to the bathroom when you put them in a vehicle.

Newt

Last edited by Newt; 07-31-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 11:08 AM
G
Getting rid of feral cat’s nuisance

Originally Posted by nerak747 View Post
My house has a beautiful wrap around porch. The neighborhood cats think so also. Ever since we purchased the house two years ago, there has been a horrible cat urine smell coming form the porch. My husband went under there last year and took out layers of soil, but now that it is getting warm outside, the smell is coming back. Any ideas on how to get rid of cat urine smells outside the home?

Dear friend

While most people here choose to trap or kill the cat I have found a both natural and cheap way to keep the cats from using a place for their physiological activities.

The solution is simple and I did not believe it when they told me about it… just spray lime juice and leave the peels of the limes around and the cats will not dare to come close the place or at least they will not do “their stuff” un your porch.

I guess that cats sense the smell of limes as strong as we sense their urine,I really do not have a scientific explanation for it, but it worked for me, just make sure that the surface or area you will be spraying does not stain from the lime juice acid, so try the lemon juice on a non visible part of the surface and see if it gets stained previous to spray the lime juice all over.

I also suggest spraying a lot around corners and where you may observe the cat has done its deed.

Old 07-31-08, 12:13 PM
N
Giovas, glad to know that the lime works for you.

The solution is simple and I did not believe it when they told me about it… just spray lime juice and leave the peels of the limes around and the cats will not dare to come close the place or at least they will not do “their stuff” un your porch.

I guess that cats sense the smell of limes as strong as we sense their urine,I really do not have a scientific explanation for it...
Cats don't like the smell of citrus, so lemon peels or grapefruit peels will also work to keep cats away.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: