Flying squirrels

Old 05-18-07, 08:02 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flying squirrels

Anyone ever dealt with them
I have never in my life seen one until today and I may have to kill it

It is in a customer's house and doing quite a but of damage

I am told that none of the live catch traps will work due to there lack of weight to set off the trigger

I went to the Asian store and bought some of their traps
Pretty much just a take off of the old box, stick and string method

Anybody know any trapping secrets, or habits that would be helpful.
So far he has shown no fear and at one point I could have reached out and grabbed him if I had gloves on and had not been standing on a two by four in an attic with nothing to hold onto
I can't ask my boss he wants me to just kill it and move on

Old 05-19-07, 03:47 PM
T
Flying squirrels are nocturnal, which is explains why most of us have never seen one. They can make quite a bit of noise as they bring in supplies during the night to store in walls and attics.

Detection of entry may be difficult because flying squirrels are very small and can enter a 1" size hole. Inspection of attic will likely not reveal flying squirrels or nests. They avoid being seen and will burrow into insulation. Look for droppings. Flying squirrels leave droppings in one designated place where odor can be unbearable. Tree squirrels forage and leave droppings everywhere.

Box and string method likely will not work for flying squirrels because they are so small. Wire mesh trap with openings no larger than 1/2 x 1/2" is needed. A tablespoon of peanutbutter on trip can be effective. Place a few sunflower seeds or nuts usually found in the local landscape at the entrance of the trap. Of course, there are kill traps. You must place the trap where you see the pile of flying squirrel droppings or at entry to burrows in insulation. Flying squirrels tend to be active only in burrows and where they leave their droppings, so trap placement at these points is important.

Keep in mind that flying squirrels are very friendly and will invite their friends and relatives to live in the attic. There may be from one squirrel to 20 or so. They may also be in wall voids.

Too, squirrels and rodents chew electrical wiring and can cause house fire. Once squirrels have been eliminated, any opening or gap must be sealed. Flying squirrels can enter roof vents, construction gaps, improperly installed chimney caps and other locations.

If relocating flying squirrels, check with local wildlife control. Ordinances re: location of wildlife tend to vary from area to area.

Good luck! Report back on your success.

Old 05-19-07, 04:48 PM
O
I have found the nesting area and the squirrel.
I swear he wanted to be petted, but I learned that lesson long ago

The trap I have is a screen mesh get up with a rudimentary trigger similar in principle to a snap trap

The bait hangs off of a wire that is attached by wire loop to the trigger wire
When the animal chews on bait suspended on the wire he releases the lock holding the door up
This little guy is very inquisitive so that may give me an edge

The trap is designed for Viet rats.
If you kill them you might not get to them in time to eat them

Years ago I did a mouse job for a Hindu who would not allow me to kill the mice and these traps worked well
The company did not want the job because they did not realize what I did Compassion in this industry is expensive and I was paid on commission

Old 05-19-07, 05:10 PM
T
Wear heavy gloves if you plan on petting the little flying squirrel. The trap sounds like it will work fine. Just put something out to tempt him toward the bait.

Are you sure there is just one? Any idea where the entry is so it can be sealed? Home should be inspected an all gaps sealed.

You are one of the lucky few who has seen a flying a squirrel. In northern West Virginia the Northern Flying Squirrel has been on our endangered species list. I believe last year it was released from the list. There is still much concern for them due to loss of habitat.

Old 05-19-07, 10:25 PM
O
No I am not sure there is only one, I'm not even sure that I only saw one
When I was poking around in the insulation the one guy came strolling out.
When I came back with the trap he was at the other end of the attic walking upside down on the ridge beam and i thought he looked fatter, I just didn't want to say that to the already irritated customer

The sealing up is what I do now and have already given a bid on that.

I have learned about patting friendly animals when I first started in pest control we caught a rabbit in a live catch trap, and who wouldn't want to scratch a lovable little bunny on the nose.
I still have the scar on my middle finger..
Not only do they have sharp teeth but filthy mouths. The secondary infection caused more damage than the bite did

I thought that they were still protected here.
My mother has already agreed to allow me to release all that i catch on her property
Any other squirrels for that matter, i think she's crazy

Did you get my message
I tried to post to you and Sharp Advice in Chats and Whines reference to your PMs

Old 05-22-07, 04:20 PM
O
Well
I got him, but not in the live catch

I found him today with a broken back from a rat trap

I haven't felt bad about killing vermin in many years
I also feel bad that my improper choice of trap caused needless suffering

This was definitely my buddy I recognized a bare spot in his tail

I set out my Viet traps just in case there is more but am not as hyped about it as I was

Old 05-22-07, 06:20 PM
T
Such a pity to have not been able to live trap the pesky little cutie. As cute as flying squirrels and other little rodents are, they can do considerable damage to a home, including burning it to the ground.

Now, how will you know that it is the only one? Did you ever find the entry? More will come if gaps are not sealed. Did you explore insulation to see if there are babies? Abandoned babies will die and cause odor problem. Are you going to keep the traps set?

Old 05-22-07, 06:38 PM
Talking Flying Squirrel Paper

Somebody should make flying squirrel paper strips. Could just hang them from tree limbs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: