Severe Crow Problem

Old 06-30-08, 01:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Severe Crow Problem

We just built a new home and we are having a bird problem. I think they might be crows, but I'm not sure. They are very large all black birds. They have to be the size of our cat. Anyhow, about 5-6 keep circling our house. At night they will land on it pecking at the roof & vents. They have already torn a couple screens. From all the pecking to the sounds they make, it's very hard to get a good nights sleep. What should I do to keep them away? Would an owl work?

Old 07-02-08, 12:10 PM
N
Hi Rick,

Congratulations on your new home! Here's a site that shows some products you can use to keep the birds off your home. You may need a combination of these.
http://store.birdbarrier.com/store/_Homeowners.asp

Newt

Old 07-02-08, 05:04 PM
S
I realize that my response will generate some negative feedback.

I also had a crow problem. The operative word is "had".
Here's how I solved mine. I shot them. Maybe 10 or so. After each time I shot one, they went nuts for a little while. Then they didn't come around as much. Crows are very smart. They realized that if they stayed around, the end was near. I guess they told all their friends too. I'm being serious. I have a tall grove of trees surrounding my house, and every morning they would sit there and CAW CAW CAW for hours. So, I went and got my trusty Remington .22 rifle. I use the CB Long bullets. After about 6 months, they were gone. For good! Its been about 2 years and I'm virtually crow free. Once in a while I may get the occaisonal slacker, but as soon as I go for the
.22, it's gone. I haven't fired a shot in roughly 1.5 yrs.

If your not out in the country, forget the above advice. Get yourself a Taser

Old 07-03-08, 05:22 PM
N
Septicguy, you made me curious about shooting crows as so many birds are protected, so I did some googling. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act lists these crows as protected:
American crow
Fish crow
Hawaiian crow
Mexican crow
Northwestern crow
White-necked crow
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/in.../mbtintro.html

From the above site:
The MBTA protects over 800 species of wild birds and provides for closed and open hunting seasons for game birds. According to this federal law, it is illegal to "pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, possess, sell, purchase, barter, import, export, or transport any migratory bird, or any part, nest, or egg or any such bird, unless authorized under a permit". Take is defined as: "pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or attempt to pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect". The United States Fish and Wildlife Service regulates the MBTA and oversees annual hunting regulations established by individual states that include species included, hunting areas, bag limits, and season length.
I did a little more searching and found this article about dispersing crows in Connecticut.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C0A961958260

...several college campuses have had some success in recent weeks by playing a tape of crows in distress. The tape, which someone described as sounding like recycling trucks on bottle night, has scared crows away from the Hartford College for Women, the University of Connecticut Law School and the Capital Community-Technical College, all within an easy drive of each other. The same tape seemed to work last year, when thousands of birds roosted on the roof of the Aetna Life and Casualty Company building in Hartford.

''Where they are now, I couldn't say,'' Mr. Vann said. ''But it's not like they're going to move to Massachusetts.''

With spring upon us, the problem will resolve itself, he said. The crows will disperse and breed throughout the area, returning to roost next year.
I also found this site from the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection that lists hunting season for crows for the 2008 season.
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epNav_GID=1633

I would suggest that each person wanting to consider this route should check with their particular state department of environmental protection.

Newt

Old 07-04-08, 05:33 AM
S
Hi Newt,

I apprerciate the information! I guess my response to Rick was slightly narrow minded, having not taken into consideration the laws of other states. Oh well. Not to leave on a sour note, I do consider myself a responsible citizen. Some laws are stupid, some are not. I try to abide by as many of them as possible.

Having said that, I can say one thing for sure, here in CT between Jan 1- Mar 1 and Oct 18- Dec 31 there will be NOcrows anywhere near my house. I hope the laws in his state are sensible.

Old 07-05-08, 11:59 AM
N
Septicguy,

Thanks for your thoughts and concern. I found much of the info on crows conflicting.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: