Bird Deterrent

Old 04-04-09, 04:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bird Deterrent

Here's a silly issue I'm having...this all started about a week ago when I heard some noises in the house...thinking it was my cats I go and investigate only to find out they're both laying on the couch. So continue to investigate in the basement around the area of where I was hearing the noise in the upper floor. Waiting for the noise, I notice it's a Robin in the window well of one of the basement windows pecking at the glass. It's been off and on, mostly heard in the morning (since I'm at work I don't hear it any other time), but it happens throughout the day. I've been told "it must see its reflection". I'm not sure if I believe this, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to keep them out of the window well and from tapping on the window. Thank you.

Old 04-04-09, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Put hardware cloth over the well..then stick one of the cats in there? Seriously, it will probably end soon, but I've seen static cling owls and cat heads that you might try. Not sure wher you would get one, garden center had them when I was in VA. Print a pic of a cat and tape it up there maybe?

Old 04-04-09, 11:05 PM
N
Hi Barsch,

It's not silly at all, and yes the bird is seeing it's reflection and thinks it's the competition. Mating season and all! Just put up some paper or cloth inside the house so there is no reflection for the next few weeks.

Newt

Old 04-05-09, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
To take Newt's idea a little further, you can apply the frosted type window cover on the glass itself and leave it there. It will let light in, but will occlude the reflection for the bird and for prying eyes from the outside.

Old 04-05-09, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Does the bird continue pecking if you are in the room?
It would make an interesting picture before you chase it away.

Old 04-05-09, 06:14 AM
B
Never thought of mating season and the competition factor...makes sense. I just taped a piece of paper on the window, we'll see what this does.

Yes, I could stand right at the window and the bird would come back. It took me flashing a light at it or waving my arms to get him to fly away.

Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: