Drop the Bear! Quick Release

Old 09-26-09, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drop the Bear! Quick Release

I have a bird feeder suspended on a 3/8" cable between two trees. The distance between the two trees is about 20 feet. The bird feeder hangs 15 feet above the ground. We have a black bear that likes to climb up one of the trees, shimmy out on the cable and knock the bird feeder to the ground...shimmy back, climb down, maul the now bent and broken feeder and then leave. I would like to locate a quick release coupler I could place on the cable that would release when a certain weight was applied to drop said bear to the ground and hopefully deter his future climbing exploits. I'm having a hard time locating such a coupler and would like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Old 09-26-09, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
A simple quick release would be to tie one end of the cable with a thin rope that would support the weight of the feeder but not the bear.
A trail cam would likely get you some interesting pics if you don't have any already!

Old 09-26-09, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
We use 10 to 14 lb fishing line to support ours. It definitely won't deter the bear, but he can't climb it. I just keep several feeders built in my shop (same template and cheap wood) and replace them after his rampages. Caught him coming up the front steps the other night to get to the feeders on the porch. When he saw me, he stood up to turn around on the landing to leave. He was at least 7' tall, probably around 450 lbs.
They like peanuts, sunflower seeds and chicken scratch best.
One thing to do is not fill the feeders completely up. Put out a little for the birds so by evening there isn't much left.

Old 09-27-09, 06:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with GregH...America's Funniest Home Videos....litterally you could make money from this somewhere.

Old 09-27-09, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Ya, I plan to get one for the occasion mystery night critter we get and elusive flying squirrel my wife is feeding.

The problem I am having selecting a trail cam is that as they are becoming more common, the features are getting better and the prices are dropping.
If it is anything like laptops it will take me two years to buy one!

Old 09-27-09, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Greg, I agree. A friend has one, and instead of having to take the camera from its case, take it inside and download the pix, he just opens the case and pops out a SD card, replacing with new and closes it up. So much better than years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: