Field mice are winning the war

Old 12-18-10, 05:49 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Field mice are winning the war

Other than purchasing a cat is there a permanent solution to eliminate mice in my home? I have sealed every possible entrance to the property. I have steel wool, metal taped any entrance into the kitchen. (te room of choice) I have laid traps, effective but disgusting. I have now resorted to baited traps everywhere. Every morning I check and there has been activity, poison eaten, feces. I am extremely careful with any source of food. I believe they are nesting in the walls or attack. They must breed at a fierce rate. It appears that they actually enjoy the poison food.

Old 12-18-10, 09:54 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
A cat won't help, we have two and I still have traps and bait set out.

Are you using pelletized bait? If so, sometimes rodents take the pellets and stash them rather than eat them. Try the compressed blocks; I like them a lot. Keep plenty of bait out. Bait basement, crawls, attics, garages, behind stove, under sinks, etc. Bait outside in wood piles, under tarps, sheds, etc. For mice you want lots of bait locations, whereas with rats fewer locations but more bait.

Once you get ahead of them, then keeping traps set year round with fresh bait will catch them as they enter. You are probably attacking a large population for now; another reason why you want to establish a buffer/perimeter zone outside.

Old 12-18-10, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Another thing to consider is eliminating their food supply. Open bags of dog food (if you have any), trash cans (sealed tightly), Flour, sugar, pancake mix, cereal, and other cabinet things they can get to for food. If they can't find food, they will dwindle in numbers to where you can control them.
You could obtain some rat snakes (harmless but effective), but that's another story.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: