Animal hiding hole

Old 04-20-11, 02:25 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Animal hiding hole

I have an old house we no longer live in on my property. We use it for storage of extra "stuff", pretty much a little of everything from furniture to toys. It is built on the pier foundation with treated plywood along the bottom of the house going all the way to the ground.
First it was skunks...digging under the plywood and moving under the house. I got rid of them by putting used cat litter into the holes they had dug during the evening hours when I knew the skunks were out from under the house.
Then the wood gets aged enough that it has a rotted place and a groundhog tore it open more and has moved in. Yesterday I went there looking for some "stuff" and I find that something had torn a hole in the floor in the kitchen area and ran-sacked the place!!
Papers are strewn all over the place and it looks like an earthquake has happened. Boxes that were stacked are toppled and spread out and the place is a general mess. I think maybe whatever it was had gotten confused as to how it got in and was looking for a way out. I did not see the critter but I did not search every nook and cranny.
Well enough of the background...what I wanna know is would the animals quit going under the house if I remove the underpinning of sorts so they are not as hidden?
I am not employed at the time and cannot afford to replace all that plywood to seal it all back up. We would be talking about 8 to 10 sheets of treated plywood to replace it all. I can patch the places they are using now but the wood has seen better days. So it seems I would be patching more and more as they look for new entry.
Would they (groundhogs and skunks) stay away if the area was opened up instead of a good hiding place??

Old 04-20-11, 02:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe it would help to wrap the bottom foot or two in hardware cloth - bury it a few inches into the ground around the house too.

Seems like whatever it is can chew through the plywood so metal hardware cloth should stop them.

Chicken wire may work and could cost a little less too.

Old 04-20-11, 03:33 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
jfinn's idea is sound. Hardware cloth buried into the ground. If you can, dig a trench and bend the wire cloth in the hole to give it structure. With the wire cloth you will get ventilation under there, too.

Old 04-25-11, 07:01 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
A groundhog is sometimes called a woodchuck. They get rather large about the size of a turkey without the feathers. They usually burrow into the ground to live but will take up residence under buildings. They dig for a living so even if I buried wire 3 feet deep they could get under it. Since they like to be hidden I thought maybe if I removed the wood they would move out. With all the rain we been getting it looks like it will be quite a while before I can do anything. The one I see in the yard that runs under the house when a car goes by must be at least 20 lbs and growing!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: