help with chipmunks

Old 07-21-11, 12:19 PM
M
mik
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with chipmunks

I've read all of the postings that I could and tried every method suggested to try & eradicate the annoying chipmunks tunneling in the landscaping in front of our porch. I tried a standard (spring) rat trap: found it sprung twice a day for a week but nothing trapped in it.
-tried a have-a-hart chipmunk trap and the bait was gone every day but the critter must be too light: it never tripped the pad.
-tried Dcon & saw the little thing filling its cheeks with it- ate it like it was popcorn
-tried commercial poisons but it didn't touch them
-tried the 'bucket-of-death' for weeks and never caught anything, despite using sunflower seeds and then shelled peanuts for bait

Now I just found yet ANOTHER hole freshly dug near the first!

Anyone have ANY other solutions?? These are all reportedly "sure-fire" successful ways to get rid of them, but none of them worked.

Old 07-21-11, 01:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I have a couple mouse traps in the garage and they work well for me - the only problem was I had to tie them to something to keep the chipmunk from occasionally walking away with the trap. My record was a couple years ago when I killed 33 chipmunks that summer.

Old 07-21-11, 02:52 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Snap traps are a good way to go. Any idea what was setting off the traps? could it have been birds, insects, lizards, etc?

Do your traps have "expanded triggers" as opposed to the small metal trigger. With an expanded trigger you can catch mice and smaller things even with bigger traps.

You can take a coffee can lid, cut a slice in it big enough to fit over the small metal trigger. This in effect expands the small trigger. Now you can catch smaller stuff.

Otherwise it sounds like your doing the right things. Tracking powder in the holes/burrows is effective, but it is a restricted use pesticide. That's what I use, so I haven't trapped in a long time.

Old 07-21-11, 04:30 PM
M
mik
Thanks to both of you.
I haven't tried mouse traps because I thought they'd be too small to trap these critters. Was I wrong? Would a regular mousetrap catch them & hold them if I leashed the trap to something?
Not trying to sound like a smart-a$*, but I don't have the luxury of having the time to watch the trap all day to see how things go...if I did I'd sit with a pellet gun in my hands and pick off the colony one by one & smile each time, knowing that's one less rodent destroying my landscaping that I broke my back creating. (they've apparently already eaten the roots of one of the bigger bushes since it's dying/ turning gray) But I assumed that a chipmunk tripped the rat-sized snaptrap I laid out repeatedly because they're the only critter in the area- birds don't come in this close to the porch, no toads/frogs/lizards/insects (big enough) in the vicinity. And I laid these traps RIGHT at their hole so the peanut butter scent would waft directly down in.
PAbugman: I'm not exactly sure what you meant by 'expanded trigger'..? I bought a standard rat s(pringloaded) snaptrap at the local big box store and it has a pretty sizable trigger...it obviously worked well at snapping since I found it snapped 2x a day all week.
I feel like all I'm doing is feeding these varmints enough to proliferate and make more of themselves since all I do is lay out peanuts, sunflower seeds, bird seed, peanut butter, etc but never catch anything or find any kills.
Both of the local big box stores list electronic rat traps to zap/fry the animal but that's another $45-$50...and I've already spent well over that!

Old 07-22-11, 07:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yep, a regular mouse trap tied to something heavy is all I use.

Old 07-22-11, 12:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
Even if the mouse trap is not strong enough to retain the animal it's snapping shut should be strong enough to do serious harm to a little chipmunk. Even if he gets away he probably will not live long with injuries. Because of their smaller size I suspect a mouse trap can slam shut faster than a larger rat trap increasing the likelihood catching the bugger.

Old 07-22-11, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well....ever feel like adopting a cat? Or a little terrier? They call them rat terriers for a reason.

Old 07-27-11, 11:48 AM
M
mik
We HAVE a terrier- a Decker Terrier that goes nuts when he even sees birds or critters out in the yard. But he's trained not to go in or near the landscaping since he dug it up when he was a pup & I corrected that behavior.
And I bought (yet another) set of mousetraps and set them all around the holes in our landscape & secured them to rebar that I staked in the ground....the next day they were snapped but no critters.
So- having spent enough time & money on all other ideas- I went to an auto parts store and bought some (exhaust) flex pipe and connected it to my mower exhaust. Then I filled in all of the holes except one, which is where I stuck the business end of the flex pipe and left the mower running for 25 minutes during the hottest part of a
96-degree day when I hoped they'd be staying cool in their tunnels. No sign of them since. But I should have shielded my holly bushes from the direct heat from my (air cooled) mower engine- killed the leaves off half of two shrubs immediately...they should fill back in next year. At least it was successful.
Thanks to all anyway who offered some input.

Old 07-27-11, 11:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Never thought of engine exhaust, I have gophers in my yard....

Old 07-29-11, 03:16 PM
M
mik
if I could have gotten my car backed up to this area of my yard I would have used that instead of my mower, but landscaping prevented me from getting it there. The mower worked out anyway- I spent less $ on the pipe since I didn't have to get a bigger size to match the car tailpipe.

Old 07-30-11, 04:38 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
the idea of expanding the trigger is for rat traps (snap traps). You want to increase/expand the trigger size with a coffee can lid so that the edge of the lid extends to the edge of the wooden trap. That way if a small rodent steps on the expanded trigger, it will set off immediately and catch the rodent while still at the edge, as opposed to going overtop of it and simply giving it an earache and near death experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: