Chipmunk control

Old 10-16-11, 08:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chipmunk control

I have trapped 22 chipmunks in a small hav-a-heart trap and relocated them but am getting tired of driving, is it possible they are coming back from 4 miles away or just new ones keep coming from the neighbors.

Old 10-17-11, 05:26 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I doubt if they are returning from 4 miles, but it is within their range, they could cover that in a day. That's an extreme number, but I would think you must be making progress, keep driving. The only problem I see is your habitat must be very desirable for them and since you will never get your community down to zero, this will be a lifetime job. What is your problem with them?

Bud

Old 10-17-11, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
That is a huge number of chipmunks to catch in one area. You must be trapping them outside.

If you are having trouble with chipmunks getting into your house I would instead work on sealing up their entrances. Go around your house and look very closely for holes or cracks where they can enter. Don't forget to look up to the soffits, gable ends and around chimneys. Seal any gaps or holes with metal flashing.

Old 10-17-11, 06:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
We trap them in the garage - as long as they stay outside, we don't care.

That said, a double digit number is not unusual for us, we got 33 last year.

BTW, we never catch the same chipmunk twice, if you know what I mean....

Old 11-11-11, 09:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's nice to know there are people like you that are humanely catching and releasing the chipmunks. That being said, I know it's exhausting to keep checking the traps and relocate them.

I can pretty much guarantee that you have not caught 22 separate chipmunks. Taking them 4 miles away simply isn't far enough. One way to test this is to put a bit of cheap bingo ink on them. It's non-toxic and you can get it at the dollar store. Chances are that you will find the "new" chipmunks you have trapped are ones you've caught before.

Where are you catching these chipmunks, and why are they bothersome to you? Perhaps there's a good solution if we had a better understanding of the problem they are causing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: