Birds, Birds, The Birds!

Old 05-23-12, 06:07 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Birds, Birds, The Birds!

So, across the street from me is a crazy lady who loves birds. She moved in last summer and at the end of the summer, she installed a bird feeder in her front yard. She is the type to fill both the feeder and also dump a pile on the ground. I live 1 street behind a shopping complex, with grocery stores and restaurants. Additionally, I have a large row of cedars behind my house where a lot of birds nest.

Now the problem. The woman in question lives between me and the shopping complex. Her feeder is attracting birds nesting behind my house, as well as the pigeons from the shopping plaza. As a result, my house is a fire zone for the bird poop. Every day my house, car, deck, etc. are nailed with poop.

I want to install an ultrasonic bird repellent of sorts, and I am curious if anyone here has had any luck with products out there.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-12, 02:48 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
I wouldn’t put any faith in bird repellers, or the sonic rodent repellers. I don’t know what to tell you to do-sounds like the perfect storm with food on one side and harborage on the other. Eventually there will be a rodent problem with bird seed on the ground. Birds are careless feeders by themselves but with her dumping seed on the ground there will be a rodent issue soon, if not skunks, opossums, etc.

Old 05-23-12, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
Might try this route:

Amazon.com: Bird-X SE-PAC Scare Eye Balloon, 3-Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I don't have any personal experience, but have heard they can be quite effective. Browse the reviews for the product for more insight.

Old 05-25-12, 05:03 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wife had a great idea. We have a PT post in the front yard that at one time most likely had a lamp on top. Now it only has our house number. Wife suggested that we put one of those fake owls right on top of it. I figure we can do that for a couple of days, then move it back to the deck. See how that works.

Old 05-26-12, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 423 Votes on 378 Posts
I bought one for my stepson's front porch. It worked well if I went by there every other day to move it but when I quit going by..... That kid will complain about all the bird droppings but won't bother to move the fake owl. They sell a more expensive one that is battery operated. It's eyes light up with a motion sensor - it would probably work better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: