cat pooping newly seeded lawn

Old 05-30-14, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
cat pooping newly seeded lawn

A neighborhood cat has been doing its poop business every night into the top soft inch or so of compost/soil layer I laid down and seeded with grass seed, hoping to get a lawn to grow in my 60 ft x 60 foot backyard. Since planting several days ago and awaiting eventual germination of the grass seed, each morning I see that the cat has scratched up a different spot and did it's dump. It's a seven or eight foot high fenced in yard with pickets spaced every four inches or so. I took the effort of installing/securing some strong vinyl mesh netting from ground level up to 3 feet high on the fence, hoping that would prevent the cat from crawling in through the pickets, but still the cat is managing to enter somehow so that deterrent is just not working.
Any suggestions on a method to deter this cat from from doing this? I know there are those different electronic gadgets that are supposed to work to prevent this kind of thing but do they really work, or is there something else I can try before shelling out bucks for one of those gadgets? It's obvious the cat will continue this habit in my seed soil unless I can do something stop it.

Old 05-30-14, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
I would get a live trap and simply catch it; turn over to animal control. Second choice would be a motion-activated sprinkler, but it'll cost some $.

Old 05-30-14, 12:40 PM
Thanks tow guy, both definitely good suggestions. I'll look into both of them.

Old 05-30-14, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The cat us just going over the fence. I have 6 ft high block walls in the back and they go up that slick as a whistle. Actually, it's 6 ft on the inside and more like 9 ft down to the alley. They can pop up from the alley as well.

You won't stop them from coming over.

If you know the cats servants, you might tell them what you plan.

Old 05-30-14, 01:40 PM
You won't stop them from coming over.
If you know the cats servants, you might tell them what you plan.
Gunguy, yeah I guess it's apparently no problem for the cat to just hop my fence if it wants to. So for now I'm gonna try tow guy's suggestion of a live trap. Borrowed one from the Animal Control and will try it tonight. Don't know the cat's servants but I've seen this big long-haired rather mangy looking tom cat roaming around from time to time in the past.

Old 05-30-14, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
I guess the one from my neighborhood must have immigrated to Alaska...lol.

Cover the trap with an old blanket or similar and keep the bait way in the back. Rats and mice, even little birds, can get in and steal the bait w/o setting it off. Just in case you see the bait gone and trap empty.

I've trapped 2 litters of kittens and 3 adults...so a bit of experience.

Old 05-30-14, 02:42 PM
Okay thanks for those tips Gunguy. Will do. The Animal Control officer said use a can of cheap tuna for bait. Hopefully this'll work and the solve the problem. I'll report back here, hopefully with a success story, after tomorrow morning.

Old 05-30-14, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Boy, if you catch him in one night you will be one lucky trapper.

The feral male I mentioned was untrappable. Too alley smart I guess.

Old 05-30-14, 04:08 PM
I kind of think it probably is not necessarily feral, but could be. I more assume it belongs to one of the neighbors around. Also not sure if its male, just guessed it might be a tom because looked rather large. But probably I'll need a lotta luck if I wanna catch it one night, eh? Dangit. If I dont catch it in one night then what? Just try try again, wait and wonder, do anything different the following night(s)?

Old 05-30-14, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Nope...just keep trying. Don't do anything different. Took me several days to catch the kittens, and then caught 3 or 4 at a time. The older female I'd been trying 2 yrs (not continuous) before we finally got her, had her spayed and then released her back out. I'm a proponent of trap, spay, release.

Keep it in the same location. Somewhere where it's sort of out in the open seemed to work best. Maybe not in the middle of the yard, but not right up near the house either. Change the bait each day. It sometimes takes them a while to get used to something new in the area.

Whenever I set a trap...I hosed it off real well and used gloves to handle it after. Prob not that big a deal if it's semi domesticated.

Old 05-30-14, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
I'm not a big cat cat person but I can tolerate them as long as they crap at someone else's
house but they insist on crapping in the gardens on the two side's of my house.
I tried every known remedy from mothballs to crunchy things. Nothing stopped them.

I picked up two of these animal repellers..... let me tell you something.... They really work !
They are motion activated. The squirrels don't seem to be bothered but the cats aren't in my gardens anymore.

Heartland America: 2 Pack Outdoor Animal Repellers

Old 05-30-14, 04:50 PM
Keep it in the same location. Somewhere where it's sort of out in the open seemed to work best. Maybe not in the middle of the yard, but not right up near the house either. Change the bait each day. It sometimes takes them a while to get used to something new in the area.
So far it has been always doing its pooping right square out in the middle area of the open yard each time. So I figured I'd just try putting the trap in that particular location. And you suggest covering the trap with an old blanket or something like that? How does that seem to help? I assume because it'd be more wary of entering an obvious cage-like device?

And it's best to change out the bait each/every night? They aren't attracted to day-or-two old canned tuna much, even if I keep it refrigerated during the day?

Old 05-30-14, 04:56 PM
PJ thanks for the link to the repellers. Good to hear that it really works. I suppose if my live trap doesnt work I will consider those repellers. Had you given live traps a try but no success? Just askin'. thanks

Old 05-30-14, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Most of the cats are my neighbors. Some have been trapped and removed by the animal warden. She owns 4-5 and a few of them are happy wanderers.

Old 05-30-14, 08:25 PM
Gunguy, I put the trap out for the night. Although didn't cover it with blanket or anything this time though. Is that pretty important to do? If no luck tonight I'll at least go with the blanket tomorrow.

Last edited by sgull; 05-30-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 08:42 AM
Update: Hooray! Caught the cat! The live trap worked like a charm for me. Looked out in the yard there this morning and lo and behold there was the cat inside the trap. It hissed at me as I approached and dropped a small blanket over the trap. Then I took it to Animal Control.
Thanks again for the advice/suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: