Birds crashing into windows..why?

Old 06-24-15, 07:00 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Birds crashing into windows..why?

Yesterday, 2 different (?) birds crashed into 2 different windows at 2 different times of the day. One survived (I guess). The other did not.
We have lived in the same house for 30 years. I don't recall anything like this happening before.
The windows are both awning windows with white shades, curtains, or blinds.
Both have been in place for years (1985 for one, 2011 for the other.)
Neither window was damaged.

my questions:
Is this is a routine occurrence that we were never previously in the right place to see or hear?
Is there a cause for these crashes, other than "that's nature"?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-15, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Is this is a routine occurrence that we were never previously in the right place to see or hear?
I've had many birds hit the windows here. It's mostly the larger windows that get hit. Depending on how the sun is shining they can't see the glass and fly straight into it or see a normal view reflection and can't tell it's a reflection.

Old 06-24-15, 07:37 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Often times, this time of year, it's males fruitlessly trying to defend their territory from their own reflection.

Old 06-24-15, 07:49 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I have seen that happen at our home three times that I can recall. It seems to happen every time on the south side of the house.
The first time I encountered this, it was a Dove. The second one I don't remember. The other day, I was out back of my shop & seen a dead Dove about 8 or 10 feet from the shop directly in front of the south side window. I am assuming this is what happened but I don't know.
The two times I was nearby when this happened, they hit hard... really hard. Like they were flying very fast.
I never knew why they do this, but Pedro makes a good point. It could be why they hit so hard.

Old 06-24-15, 02:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there a nearby food source that intoxicates them?

My grandma has a problem with birds flying into her windows at the same time every year when a certain type of berries are ripe.

Old 06-24-15, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I just finished a window job, putting about 250 windows in a former elementary school building. The other day we noticed about 4 or 5 birds laying on the ground on the south side. When there are white puffy clouds, they see the reflection of the clouds in the windows and fly right into them.

Old 06-25-15, 07:33 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks to all for your replies.
I feel like I "learned a bunch".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: