Digging under barn floor

Old 06-29-15, 05:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Digging under barn floor

I have either gophers or chipmunks digging under my storage barn concrete slab. Over the weekend I noticed pea gravel along the outside of the slab... about 3' worth along one side. Tonight I noticed a hole burrowed in the pea gravel going under the slab.
Any recommendations as to how to stop these critters? Traps, poision, etc
Thanks in advance...

Old 06-30-15, 08:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I have an ongoing gopher problem because I butt up to a farm and there's almost no end to the tunnels they have under there. I have some fun with smoke bombs occasionally but find them to be of little overall value. The poison peanuts did work a little but what I typically do now is throw the hose down the hole when I see a gopher go into one. I then stand by the hole with a hoe waiting for them to come up for air....

Chipmunks I catch inside the garage with traps.

So far, I have had nothing burrow under my garage slab.

Old 06-30-15, 03:05 PM
B
Can you give me a little more information on the poison peanuts you use and also what kind of traps do you use?

Thanks......

Old 07-01-15, 10:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Just regular rat traps but I tie them down because sometimes the chipmunk can still walk after getting caught so this limits how far they can go.

The poison peanuts were so long ago I can't recall the brand but they were in the pest control section at my hardware store.

Old 07-01-15, 03:02 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I like the rat trap idea and you should tie/stake them down as advised. If you want to try a poison bait you can find a variety at the big box stores or smaller hardware stores as well. I’d suggest trying the bait blocks; they will be square, rectangular, or similarly shaped. They will feel waxy and you may see seeds in them. Color won’t matter, brand name won’t matter. Put them into the burrowing so they aren’t visible and the rodents will feel safer as they won’t have to expose themselves.

If you have a dog you must be vigilant 100% as dogs will eat/chew these. Be aware if visitors show up with their dogs, too. Be aware that the rodents may drag them out of the burrows as well so monitor. Also be aware that the “newness” may cause shyness at first but as they get used to it they may be more accepting.
Keep us posted.

Old 07-04-15, 12:53 PM
B
I did purchase some poison peanuts and rat trap. I put peanuts into the holes they have created under my slab. Not sure if they are eating them or not. The rat trap was totally destroyed this morning. Something got caught in it and pulled the spring and clamp totally off the wood base. I plan to get a couple more an tie them down somehow. I am noticing more area around the perimeter of the slab now where they are pushing the pea gravel out. Must be one heck of a den they are creating under there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: