Raccoon in my palm tree

Old 01-11-16, 07:47 PM
Raccoon in my palm tree

I am in Miami Florida and I noticed my backyard has animal poop that I didn't noticed before. I know there are squirrels, ducks, a stray cat that occasionally come through the yard, but these seems bigger in size and I thought may be dogs but the backyard is fully fenced.

Last night around 6pm it was beginning to get dark when I got home, but I had a phone call so I stayed in my car parked in the driveway for a good half hour talking...while I was talking, I saw a raccoon coming down from the palm tree in the front of my driveway.

If you look at this palm, the old palm fronds dry out and drap to the main trunk, resulting in a "skirt" look. The raccoon, about 22-24" long, crawl out from under the dry palm skirt and went down to the ground, then slowly walked to my side yard, went under the fence gate and to the back.

I am pretty sure the poop are from this raccoon.

Does it mean the raccoon has nested up on the palm inside those dried up fronds? Or is the nest somewhere else and he/she just happened to crawl up there to look for food?

Is there something I can do to keep the raccoon off my backyard?

Should I have those dried up fronds cut away to expose the entire palm, taking away his/her nest? Or is there a less drastic measure by spraying something around the base of the tree to drive him/her away? I kind of like the current look of the palm.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-16, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The raccoon probably has a bedding area set up in the tree somewhere. I'd hate to cut the skirt from the tree as it adds to its beauty. Don't spray anything as it could affect the tree. Before taking more drastic measures, check with gardening stores for deer repellent. It is in the form of pellets and you can scatter it in the island. It may help deter them. You saw the raccoon at sunset. Since they are nocturnal, he/she was just beginning the workday, visiting bird feeders of the neighbors. You'll find the raccoon in the tree mostly during the day. Another deterrent, although it would detract from your landscaping is planting marigolds at the base of the tree. Rabbits don't like the smell and it is possible the raccoon can be deterred. You may not even have to plant them, just set them out in the cups they come in at the store.
Of course there is a permanent solution, but I see a neighborhood that may not take lightly to that.

Old 01-12-16, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might also consider getting a trap. baiting it and then relocating the coon or otherwise disposing off it.

Old 03-05-16, 11:25 AM
I spoke to two landscapers about trimming the fronds, one quoted me $500 and another one $650. But both discouraged me from doing so because they said once you started trimming the fronds the palm would look odd unless you trim them all the time, and the "peticoat" is appealing to many.

They also suggested to either trap it or repellent.

I am reading up on coyote urine now.